Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the health benefits of spaying a rat? How old is too old to spay? How long should someone wait before spaying? What are some of the risks that come with spaying? What are some questions I should ask my vet before having her spayed by him or her? In you area, how much does it cost to spay? Are there typically any medications involved? Does a hairless/double rex benefit from a spay as much as a haired rat? Should the rat be at a certain weight before she is spayed?

Sorry for all of the questions! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Spays can help minimize aggressiveness, but the best benefit is how much it reduces the chances of mammary tumors and such, which are very common in females, hairless or not.

I have heard of rats being spayed upwards of 2 years, but I would discuss with your vet. It would depend on the health of the rat in question, I'd think.

Ask your vet if he has experience with rat spays and how many he's done. Rats are tiny, so the surgery is more difficult then on a dog or cat.

Usually I think the vet will give you painkillers and antibiotics, or at least, I'd hope so...

Spays in my area go from about 125 and up, depending on the vet of choice.

Not sure as to weight. If the rat is adult, I doubt it would be an issue.

:)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There's no difference between rex/hairless/furred rats besides their fur types.

Your vet's comfort level is the determining factor when it comes to how old/large the girls have to be before they can be spayed. My vet spays my girls generally around 2-3 months old/280+ grams.

There isn't a "too old" to spay, really, it all depends on the health of the rat. Although an older rat might still get a tumor or two after being spayed, it will at least hault any chance of her developing vaginal bleeding, pyometra, or pro-lapsed uterus.

When it comes to risk, a spay is no more risky than any other surgery. If the vet you have the surgeries done by is knowledgeable and has done spays in the past, there is little to no risk. I've had many, MANY girls spayed, and I don't worry about them at all with my vet. All have come home happy, eating, and drinking, with no knowledge that anything has happened to them.

As far as what to ask the vet...

...ask what anesthetic is used (isoflurane is most used and recommended)
...if pain medication is given during the surgery (my vet gives a shot of Buprenex during/just after the surgery)
...if the rat should be fasted the night before (NO - they can safely eat right up until the surgery)
...what suture materials they use (dissoluble sutures/surgical glue is most recommended)
...if anything is prescribed after the surgery (you need to get 3-5 days' worth of Metacam, which is a pain medication, and also about a week's worth of antibiotics)
...how many spays he/she has preformed on rats before, and if they lost any during/after the surgery

Rat surgeries vary greatly in price. Personally, I pay $60 for a spay, though prices up to $150 or even $200 are, although high, acceptable and common. It all depends on your vet, and your area.

All seven of my girls are spayed :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts