Rat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it is possible to include a spelling/grammar checker in the buttons above the posting box but I think all of the users of this forum would benefit from it, even the ones who can spell as it is difficult to read posts posted by some of the members who do not know how, or chose not to spell properly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not to pop holes in this idea, but a spelling checker will only help minimally. Most of the spelling errors I've noticed are just words in incorrect places. "Now" instead of "know", things like that. As for the other, I don't know of any board with a grammar checker myself.

However, for actual spelling errors, what I recommend to everyone is downloading Google Toolbar. It comes with a spell-checker that helps fix the mistakes in any place you can enter text, it's works similarly to Word's checker. Push the button and it make suggestions. Very handy.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whatever works, I just find it difficult to understand some of the posts when the spelling is wrong, think about it, just having the 'k' missing in 'know' spells a completely different word, which could in effect, completely change what you're intending to say. I also think a lot of it depends on the actual user and whether they care to spell properly or not. I too have never seen a forum with a spell checker :s the google toolbar is definately a good idea, i can't believe i didn't think of that ... i have one lol.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I want to also suggest that if anyone is using Firefox it's possible to turn on a built-in spell checker that I love and keeps me looking more intelligent than I am.

It's under Tools > Options. Go to the Advanced Tab and in the General tab in the Browsing Section there is a checkbox that says "Check my spelling as I type"

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i like the idea but i had some people in my class who used a spell checker on a major project, but it transferred it to the wrong word, instead of the sentence being "women were encouraged to get married by....." it was "women were encouraged to maim by the age of 16" (maim means to chop up a body or something like that) and that lowered the mark a bit.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
lol rat_ratscal.

I understand that it isn't possible, but I really wish that a perfect spelling, grammar and intended meaning checker could be invented. It's the little things that get me, "would of" etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Im using firefox and it underlines incorrect words. Easier to me to write, i can say. Now im trying to use right words and not to use wrong word order or "of" when there should be "for" etc.
Im not English. So sorry if I make mistakes. :(

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if english isn't your first language, then that's fair enough, but for those of us with english as our one and only, or first, language, then we should be making some attempt at correct spelling and grammar.
its difficult sometimes with the americans dropping so-called unnecessary letters (eg: the u from harbour, favour, etc) and not comprehending that the rest of the english-speaking world actually have such words as spelt, dreamt, spoilt, etc, without confusing the non-english-speaking people with crappy spelling.

yes, ishbel, "would of" gets to me too, as does "off of" and sooooooo many others, and i think the worst offenders, at least here in australia, are sports people-turned tv commentators. all it takes is one person on the idiot box to mispronounce a word, and every little sheep copies. my pet hate on tv and radio right now would have to be the pronunciation of "debut". its deibew (the last part like new) NOT dayboo... AUSSIE TV PRESENTERS TAKE NOTE!!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I think laziness is a big part of the "Forum Shorthand". I often use thru or tho instead of the entire word. :oops:

The Chatspeak has no place on here, and those offenders must be firmly punished....hehehehe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used to admin a forum for interactive writing and there were a group of us there that adopted the label "Grammar Nazis". We declared that every member of the community must, at the very least, make a conscious effort to use an approximation of proper grammar and attempt to spell words correctly (everyone makes mistakes and typos on occasion).

We began pointing out errors that were obviously made out of pure laziness and/or carelessness, but we did so politely. It soon became a game of sorts and members were joining in to help us in our cause.

We dealt with "chat-speak" by pointing out to everyone that used it that they were not 'texting' someone in their "Circle" and that they were expected to take their time and communicate properly.

It worked. There was marked improvement in both the grammar -and- the content of posts across the board... and it all began with a thread similar to this one, entitled "Grammar Nazis Unite!".

Crapola, I must address a couple things about your post. Firstly, for someone preaching the virtues of using proper grammar, it is amusing to see that you neglected to use a single capital letter until your 'shout' at the end of your post. Heheh.

Also, I'm an American and spell words such as "color" and "favor" without the extraneous letter 'U', because that is how it is properly spelled in my country. Our language may be an off-shoot of yours, but it -is- different in many ways. That does not make one language superior to the other.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i rarely capitalize the word "I" unless it involves a situation (i.e. work, school, etc.) where capitalization is necessary. It's just a habit of mine...a while ago i realized how many times people (myself included) use the words "i" "me" "my" etc. and thought, wow, if you're going to refer to yourself that many times, you might as well be modest about it. hehe...It probably sounds weird to most of you, but it's just my little thing. Other than that, i try to keep my spelling and grammar as correct as possible.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I often change what I normally would write to reflect the forum I am in. If its more US members than Canadian, etc then I will type out "color", "check", "zipties" instead of cable ties. :)

I literally skip the posts I cannot comprehend, so that person using Chatspeak may need my help, but I cannot follow along, and thats their loss. :roll:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Secularian said:
Crapola, I must address a couple things about your post. Firstly, for someone preaching the virtues of using proper grammar, it is amusing to see that you neglected to use a single capital letter until your 'shout' at the end of your post. Heheh.

Also, I'm an American and spell words such as "color" and "favor" without the extraneous letter 'U', because that is how it is properly spelled in my country. Our language may be an off-shoot of yours, but it -is- different in many ways. That does not make one language superior to the other.
yes, i am slack and idle like that... sometimes, especially when i type fast, such as i am doing now, capitals get in the way. i do, however, use caps when handwriting or typing "official" stuff.

you may thank noah webster for his lack of spelling ability. it was he who decided that americans don't need the extra letters, yet you all insist on spelling enrol and enrolment with the double l... somewhat contradictory, don't you think? haha!!

also, i was not saying my aussie english is superior to american english, it just pisses me off when so many americans think that their way of spelling is the only way. case in point: my daughter and i lived in alaska for a few years and she did the majority of her high schooling there. even though we could prove our spelling was correct too, she was constantly marked down in her grades if she slipped in an aussie spelling or two.

·
Registered
89 Posts
crapola said:
my daughter and i lived in alaska for a few years and she did the majority of her high schooling there. even though we could prove our spelling was correct too, she was constantly marked down in her grades if she slipped in an aussie spelling or two.
That's because it was an American school, so only the American spellings were considered correct. Sure, the Aussie/British/Canadian spellings are correct in those countries, but she wasn't in those countries, so...

I can understand how frustrating that must have seemed, though. On the internet, I've learned to consider both spellings correct, because... well... they are... depending upon who is doing the typing. *shrugs*

The stuff that bothers me are people that ignore all the basic rules of grammar (and honestly, it doesn't matter as much here as it did in a forum for creative writing).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Secularian said:
I can understand how frustrating that must have seemed, though. On the internet, I've learned to consider both spellings correct, because... well... they are... depending upon who is doing the typing. *shrugs*
i find it frustrating when i have to think like an american when using slang or common aussie terminology. for example, a lot of us live in flats or units, but if i didnt type apartment, you wouldnt have a clue what i live in. sometimes its like being fluent in two languages, haha!!!

another one of my pet peeves is the constant incorrect use of i/me, and i found that just about everyone, everywhere, stuffs that up.

"i went to the store with john."... therefore, i went to the store.
"mary went to the store with john and i."... mary sure as **** didn't go to the store with i... therefore, it absolutely has to be "mary went to the store with john and me."
my rule of thumb in these instances has always been to take out the other person, if it makes sense with "i", then thats what it should be, but if it doesnt, then its meant to be me.
"john and i went to the store with mary."... definitely, john and i went to the store.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts