Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys im an astmatic and thinking of getting a couple of rats as i aint had much luck with pets due to moving home ect but i have been settled for eight yesr now.and would love a pet,my friends have rats i ok with the baby rats,and im quite good with my friends other adult femal rat although i do have a tiny itch sensation from the adult but not un comftable,is their an anti allergie wipe i could use just to stop the minor irritation,or should i get sphinx rats an where would i obtain the breed :?:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hairless rats are just the same as any other rats. Maybe a slight be less dander, but that's about it. The itchiness from the rats generally comes from an allergy to their urine or something similar. Washing the rat may help, but you'll still likely react somewhat.

Hairless rats aren't a separate breed. So you'll likely find them in shelters, rescues, or from breeders - ask them if their lines carry hairless.

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was Lola liked water. Poppy is brave though-I filled a bowl with water and threw some yogurt drops in-she was soon there with her head under the water :)

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Most people are allergic to the urine and the rat's nails get urine under them. When they scratch you, the welts appear on your skin. Not much to do with dander with the rats. Double rex , your traditional hairless pet rat, won't make that much of a difference.

Beyond the rat you would have to deal with the bedding etc...

·
Registered
489 Posts
and be sure all your rats nails are short as hairless rats are more prone to scratches.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
they actually aren't any more prone to scratches, you just notice them easier. in my cage i have 7 furred babies and one hairless. i don't clip any of their nails. the hairless hardly ever has scratches on her but my big fat and bossy want-to-be alpha has scratches all over her. you don't notice them until she has her bath and her fur is all wet though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
hmmm so your tellin me i've wasted all that time doin there nails for nothin!

well, it keeps me from bein scratched. lol.

hairless are normal rats...like bald men(and women) are just people/

·
Registered
94 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
Most people are allergic to the urine and the rat's nails get urine under them. When they scratch you, the welts appear on your skin. Not much to do with dander with the rats. Double rex , your traditional hairless pet rat, won't make that much of a difference.

Beyond the rat you would have to deal with the bedding etc...
My wife is allergic and get little welts. That is basically how we knew that our first rat needed a bath. We also used aspen shavings for his bedding(not pine or cedar) and it was about 3 to 4 weeks between baths.

If this is your only allergy I wouldnt worry about it too much.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I get the little welts as well. Rather than submit the boys to frequent baths I keep bendryl spray on hand... Make it feel better. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can bath all 6 of my babies just fine...but when it comes to the teens and adults...no way...they just wont have it. I have never had a reaction to any animal...except maybe a spider...sorry I can't really be of help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts