Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Squeak had surgery to remove tumors about a month ago and now she has a lump under her right leg when i got her saturday is was kind of soft but now today it is quite hard and it is pink and has a scab on it, anyone know what it might be?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She is probably almost 4 and a half so getting pretty old she has gone deaf and is losing eye sight as well, Im just concerned it causes a little problem with her hip moving when she walks but nothing that keeps her from walking around the house, she is eating and playing normal and doing fine otherwise

·
Registered
680 Posts
4 1/2!?!?!?! Wow that's great! Most rats only live for about 2 years. I hope mine all live that long. Especially Buddy. :)

Could be an abscess or cyst. The scab is probably from her chewing on it. You should have a needle aspiration done. Basically they poke it with a needle and squeeze. If puss comes out it's an abscess if not they have to test it to see if it's a tumor. Cysts are a little different. The stuff inside is usually hard, not liquidy, so they're harder to "pop". But a vet can probably tell if it's a cyst or not just by looking/feeling. If it is a cyst they can lance it and squeeze the gunk out. They can be painful though so they might want to give you pain meds. Although with her advanced age I'm not sure if that wise or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea she is just a petsmart rat but almost all the rats we've got from this particular one have lived to 4 or 5 and none younger than 3, currently its not impeding her Ive been watching her and she doesnt mess with it very much, Ill let my mom know since she is doing her vet visits, but my main concern is she may be too old, because the vet didnt know if she would make it through the last surgery. Yea its hard and I can see little white patches under the skin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts