Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my two boys, alec and westley, have been with me for about 2 weeks now. they're personalities are great and i couldn't ask for better rats.
however, alec- the more adventurous and hyper of the pair- is very noisy. he squeaks a ton. when they're out and playing, he squeaks super loud, and i'm always afraid he's getting hurt (which probably isn't the case, since westley is gentle to everyone.)
even when i hold him, sometimes he'll peep at me. he also squeaks while roaming around and while he 'popcorns'.
as i'm typing this, i tried to pick him up to move him, and he chirped at me. keep in mind that he is not squeaking in pain; i would never grab a rat that hard.

so, my question is, is it was normal for a rat to be so vocal? i read that some rats can be that way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would say almost for sure that it is nothing to worry about. If he doesn't have other symptoms and doesn't make noise while breathing, then it is probably just a social thing. One of my girls, Charlotte, chirps at me when she is really happy. My other girl, Anna, squeaks all the time when she is playing with Charlotte. I was really worried at first that Charlotte was being too rough with her little sister, but I can tell now that Anna is just excited.

If you could get a video so I could hear the sound I could tell you for sure. My breeder tends to get some "talkers" so I'm used to a variety of sounds.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
One of my girls would squeak every time I picked her up until she got used to it. Then she stopped. I'm sure it is nothing to be concerned about ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
One of my girls chirps when she's annoyed with me. "CHIRP!" I wanted that cookie I just stole, why'd you take it? "CHIRP!" I wanted to be precariously perched on the edge of that lampshade you didn't think I could possibly climb, why'd you take me down?!

It almost sounds like she says "Meep!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts