Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cage I currently have my rats in came with a running wheel attached inside. My one little girl has decided that she needs to run in it at all hours of the morning, and it squeaks like crazy!

My husband and I are trying to come up with rat-friendly solutions to grease the wheel with. We've tried butter and canola oil, but it works for one night before the girls lick it off.

Anyone have suggestions of what we could try or had a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can always detach the wheel! If it's the Coast Cage Rat Mansion it might be a fair idea anyway. I've heard of some rats being injured by the wheel in that cage.

I had that cage for some time, and when the wheel began to squeak I used a bit of olive oil. It worked for me for a while, so I dunno what other advice to give.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Olive oil worked for me- the girls licked at it, but it still seemed to keep the wheel quiet for at least a couple weeks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Detaching the wheel in the cage would take some serious doing. However, it's not exactly the cage you mentioned. The one they show online is a wire wheel, the one in the cage I have is solid. It should be pretty rat-safe.

I'll try the olive oil. I'm hoping to get them a new cage in the not too distant future. They're still young and growing, so it's pefect for now, but not for much longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts