Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently had my two male ratties, Beauregard and Marcellus, neutered, because they would sometimes fight hard and wound each other. I haven't seen a real fight since, but they still groom each other rather fiercely, and I frequently hear the groomee "squink" or give out a little squeak. Does this mean he is being hurt, or is it just part of the grooming ritual?

Also, Marcellus has a black face and "hood," and I've noticed over the past months that he gets almost-bald spots on his face, on the bridge of his nose and his forehead. Is Beau chewing off the hair on Mar's face when he grooms him?? The bald spots appear in different places--so the hair does grow back. This does not happen to Beau, who is "tweedy" brown with grey and black mixed in. Overall, Marcellus' fur is thinner, longer, and silkier. Beau's is shorter and quite thick.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes it could be power grooming with over zealous barbering. My two brothers will usually power groom each other, usually Berki to Charlie, and Charlie will give those little squeaks the whole time usually, but they really don't ever fight. Just those complain-y squeaks during grooming.

Then there was my heartrat Bijou and her hairless daughter Aoife. Aoife loved to over barber Bijou and she ended up with a big bald spot on top of her head and a few smaller ones over her body. Bijou also had very fine, almost thin hair. She looked like a little old lady rat her whole life because of her sparse fur. So I guess her fur was easier to chew off. The rest of her babies all had normal rat fur.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Finnebon. I like "power grooming"--they definitely get very zealous sometimes, and they take turns on each other. Also good to know that the squeaking is common. My little lovies!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Usually, I've seen power grooming on the rump and thighs... missing hair on the head and face can indicate mites... do your rats scratch a lot?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts