Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat, Iris, doesn't usually clean her tail and while I was cleaning it yesterday I noticed that her tail was squishy. It didn't seem any bigger than normal or warm so I don't think its inflamed but I haven't had luck figuring out what it could be. Its always been a little squishier than my hairless rats tail but Iris weighs 100g more than her so I figured it was just fat. I don't have a scale of my own and borrow a friends so I don't know if she has gained any more weight recently. She doesn't mind when I touch it. Does anyone know if this is normal? Do rats gain fat on their tails? Any information or advice is appreciated.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an older female reaching 2 years old. She's the only large/fat rat in her group and she also is the alpha. She had a tumor under her arm and it got removed. This was about 2 months ago. During her recovery, she ate less and is fully recovered now. My boyfriend and I joked we finally got her on a diet since she was the only fat rat we had.

Recently one of the younger girls have been challenging her for the alpha position. Not sure if she still is the boss.

But she's been losing more weight and I noticed her tail is a bit squishy, as in I press my fingers on her tail and the tail skin is less firm, compared to my younger girls.

We are in the basement as well and it's been getting cold so we have the heater on.

Any ideas what a less firm tail could mean??? Was looking at this thread for answers but there's no responses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts