Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my three boys today. They are almost 6 weeks old (I'm getting them two days early). My new SRS is in the living room.
My cat is the only pet that will be in there when we're not in there (as he had his leg amputated a few months ago so we don't yet let him outside yet whilst we're not there).

As he will be in the room with the rats, I was wondering if they're completely safe? Has anyone had a baby rat escape it (not through accidentally leaving the doors open)? I was also told to just put them in half of the SRS as they're babies and quite young, is this true?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The only danger I can think of would be either a claw puncturing a baby rattie or an escape. However I would expect that once the rats are more confident and a little older, any paw against the bars is going to get nipped. My suggestion would be to keep the babies in the top half at first, then when they are older and bolder open the whole thing up. That way even if by some crazy slim chance they get out it would only be into the lower level. Also in the top half your cat wont be able to reach them. Once they are a little larger they will be more likely to chase your cat. ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts