Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, me again! You're probably sick of me by now lol. I'm getting three baby bucks in two weeks: And I am contemplating getting the SRS, despite it being over £100 over my original limit ::) the SRS is the UK version of the critter nation. Anyone have it and can give me some reviews? Also, the bar spacing is 16mm, is this too big for babies? This is the cage: http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rat_cage/132223

·
Registered
350 Posts
I posted on your other thread about some of the negatives of the srs.. I will have to dig out the photos on my pc of the issues I had with it. I can give you a general view of it as a cage tho.

The bar width is 1.6cm on the sides and top (which I've never had a baby get out of) but the divider and the bottom bars which are under the pans are 2.55 cm which they could get out of if, they chewed at the plastic pan.

It's larger than a critter nation (not by much)

Paint job is hard wearing apart from a couple of places

It very solid when built more so than the critter nation

It has much stronger part metal wheels unlike the critter nation so they wont break when moving it about

Can work as a single stand alone or a double

Side bars are vertical but front and back are horizontal

The shelf's aren't as wide as the critter nations

The bolts go into the frame so no sharp edges

Same door lock as the critter nation

The plastic pans have a small gap that litter falls through so the scatter guards built onto the cage are pointless unless you put something under the pan.

The second level can be closed off but I wouldn't keep males in one half and females in the other because the dividing grate is wide enough (2.55cm) for a female to slip through (I think), if they eat at the plastic pan.

Over all its a very good cage but with a few little problems. That's all I can think about right now.. =) hope it helps oh and zooplus ship them from Germany.. I don't know if time is important.

·
Registered
870 Posts
2.55cm bar spacing is about the same as the original Ferret Nation and is possible for small rats to get through, but most adult rats will be unable to, though if you have access to hardware cloth or something like it, you can put that under the pans and zip tie it to the bars for extra security. The 1.6cm bar spacing is about the same as a Critter Nation and should be safe for even babies.

They are adorable, by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts