Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay because of the stress I've been under my immune system has enabled me to contract a staph infection and the flu in less than 24 hours.

I've had both for a week and I can't treat the staph(which I got from the toilet seats at my ever so lovely school) until I'm over the flu. I can't just not handle my rats, so I have been.

Can rats contract these illnesses. My doctor said no about the flu but I forgot to mention staph. Also I'll mention that this staph doesn't require an open wound.

I hope I haven't been putting them at risk ><

my school has yet to do anything about the flu and staph outbreak. We still don't have soap in our bathrooms. I wish someone would do something about it.....

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeowch gross. i don't think rats can get staph from people, especially from the type of staph infection you have. best of luck!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
^ It's not strep throat (Group A Streptococci or Streptococcus pyogenes). Rats CAN get Streptococcus Pneumoniae from humans who have this type of bacterial pneumonia. This type of bacteria can cause death in rats very quickly. It is a myth that it's strep throat, and it's a seriously wrong one... It makes people with strep throat stay away from rats unnecessarily, when the people who NEED to most don't realize it. :cry:

Anyhow, about the original question... The flu is no problem. Most likely, the staph infection isn't either. :) I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've only ever heard (and found in the reasearch I've done) of ringworm and strep (as mentioned by Kimmiekins) being human>rat transmitable.

I doubt you'll have problems with the flu, the amount of times I've needed rat-cuddles while 'dying' with a cold or the like - and none of mine have ever had ill effects. Personally, I'm not sure about staph, but I think you'll be fine (it seems to be the general consensus, but if you're still not sure, maybe call your docs and ask?)

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you got staph in the bathroom and they don't have any soap you really should call the health department.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys I really appreciate the help.
I'm getting a little better. My mom bought all kinds of cough stuff last night, including a humidifier.

and I return to school tomorrow lol yay!

and yes I've been thinking about calling someone about the school but I have no idea who

Nikki >.<

1 - 7 of 7 Posts