Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an idea on a website for creating a digging box for ferrets using a cardboard box full of starch packing peanuts. I thought it might be fun for the ratties but I wanted to make sure that those peanuts are OK for them. Anyone done this? Or is there something safer we could use like cotton balls? Or shredded paper?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well a guy from my science class once ate like half a bag of them and was fine, but you want to make sure that you have the potato starch kind.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If you order from Drs Foster and Smith the packing peanuts they sell you are pet safe. My rats eat them. I tried them, they dissolve on your tongue and taste faintly like rice

·
Registered
581 Posts
Like ksaxton says my rat food came with them. I tried giving one to my rats to see if they would play with them and Dela scooped it up, crawled in a corner and promptly ate the whole thing. I didn't give them anymore because I didn't want them eating a whole bunch of starch. XD

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I jut ordered a 20lb bag of food from that place. Will it actually come in a box with those kinds of peanuts?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just to make sure they are the starch ones though, you might want to put them in a bit of water. They'll dissolve in the water and the one I tested made a few air bubbles. ^-^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts