Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I want to thank everyone here for always helping me out with my rats, you've been more than helpful. After having a terrible experience with one of my rats, I went out of my way to start my own clothing line which will revolve around rats so it can bring more awareness. The clothing line is called Plague Products. My kickstarter just launched today and I hope everyone can check it out and help contribute, hopefully there can be a time where people would be happy to have a rat on their shirt rather than treat them as pests. Check it out! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/215785485/plague-products

·
Registered
664 Posts
I love your designs! Have you tried posting on the rat fan club's facebook group?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I really like the designs! But I think if you want to spread positive rat awareness you need a better name than one that references the black death...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your feedback, part of the name has to do with keeping things interesting. Making designs with just rats can come off as a "girl" clothing line which isn't my intention. I wanted to make things a bit more popular and urban so thats why I used the bubonic plague to influence more people. I want the younger to community to think it's "cool" to own a rat and once they do so for themselves, they'll see how amazing these animals truly are.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The designs are nice and I can tell your heart is in the right place for sure but I have to agree with Jude. I think there are better ways to make your brand urban and unisex without promoting the notion that an animal that is already misunderstood and feared spreads disease. Sure there is going to be a small niche of younger people that will think "Oh hey, this is going to make people squirm so it'll be "cool" to own a rat!"(which really seems like a horrible reason to own a pet, just to be controversial and make other people uncomfortable) but I think the name you've chosen will deter more people than it will draw in. Buying a kid a shirt from someplace called "Plague Products" might not be that big a deal for a parent but when that kid turns around and says "You know, I think I want to get a real rat now", that "Plague" part of the name is going to be a really strong deterrent and end up doing more harm than good. So if you were just out to sell clothes I'd say that you're on the right track. Your designs are great and the name is trendy if selling clothes is as far as it's meant to go. But if your aim really is to spread awareness about what great animals rats are, you're probably starting off on the wrong foot by slapping potentially interested parties in the face with what basically boils down to a disclaimer that rats are a health hazard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just wanted to say that I admire your desire to spread the word about the joys of rat ownership. :)

Since you didn't ask for my opinion in your original post (regarding the name or anything else), I'll refrain from giving an unsolicited opinion.

However, should you want my opinion, just let me know (either on here, or via PM) and I'll be happy to give my two proverbial cents. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone can definitely post their feedback here, it'll help me a bunch. I might have to clarify and post a video about my brand's name so it can be better understood. I chose to include plague so it can allow me to keep things urban, cool, and interesting. It's essentially a unique theme that doesn't exist anywhere else, or that I know of. It'll eventually consist of potions, plague doctors, and other things during the bubonic plague era. This may sound all misleading, but I need something to catch people's eye. I don't believe that with my clothing line people will continue disliking rats, because it brings awareness. Someone who's buying a shirt isn't going to look at my shirt and say, "yeah plague, because these animals are filthy", but instead they'll be like, “wow that's a neat idea, this is pretty cool".

I already made a few shirts for myself and wore them around in public and received compliments already. This even surprised me because as a guy, I’ve NEVER received a compliment with wearing any other shirt that I’ve ever owned. In fact, someone kept asking me where I got my shirt and they weren’t convinced that I made it myself with my own equipment. I’m also a Christian, so by using the plague it’s going to allow me to sneak crosses into my designs without people getting offended or overburden with religious elements. In addition, with my rat Taro who was a baby, I felt that his death was a plague. So to me it’s like spreading this plague to everyone so thing can change. The rat in my logo is drawn out design of Taro himself.

I do have designs that are "cute" that aren't currently released on my kickstarter, but they're left out because while my fiancé would love to wear it, I highly doubt any guys will or anyone who doesn't like rats to begin with. Eventually there will be a woman's section which will have all that cute stuff the girls want, but currently I want to keep thing as simple as possible since a complicated Kickstarter would turn people away. So right now I’m trying to target as much people as I can…

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'd like to share my personal thoughts on this. First of all, I really appreciate your goals and the effort and thought that you've put into having then succeed. Your designs are very attractive and I would absolutely love to see more of them! I'd love to buy some as well! You have effect designs that are pleasing to the eye and get across your point.

Second of all, and I realize many have stated this before, but as I said, I'd like to give my opinion. I understand the backstory on the name of your products and I completely see your reasoning. However, the general public may not. You see, psychologically we are "genetically engineered" so to say, to follow the crowd. And that crowd decided its ideas about rats long before our generation. Those ideals still exist today though. Where we see the bright side to rats, we have to assume that the general public, who I assume is your intended "audience" through this, does not. Because of this, we have to gingerly step in a direction that will allow their thoughts to be changed, as you've stated your goal to be.

Human beings are notorious for their laziness. We tend to look for the easy way out of things and shortcut our way through life. Because of this, we tend to see and associate with little to no thought. The problem with your product line name is that the general public will read the word Plague and associate it back to rats negatively, both as they have been taught too, and simply out of sheer laziness. The knowledgeable members of the public or the people that stop to think, may realize that the opposite is your intended goal, but they will likely not be the majority.

In all honesty, I like your ideals and your goals, and I like how you're going about it, but it does not seem like it would be affective in the long run. Humanity is too stuck in its ways and too naïve to truly wpend the time to recognize your ingenuity in this and dumbing it down may help to encourage more curiosity and to help achieve your goals more effectively. Please do not take offense to this, this is merely my long winded musings about your products, which I fully believe can become successful. :3

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These replies are truly great and meaningful, it's really helping me figure out the next step to my business. Also thank you Sabatea for explaining it a bit more clearly for me, it's very much appreciated. If this kickstarter project shall fail, I will plan to make things a bit simpler for next time and having it be more about my clothing line rather than my care for rats, since it may deter people away. I can also see the contradiction when talking about bringing awareness to rats, but then having my clothing line be called plague products. Keeping my clothing line solely be based on the clothing aspect, should fix this issue entirely. However I just want everyone to know that I’m not here to further ruin rat’s reputation. I just got to do what sells and is capable of making rats more appealing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts