Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to keep bothering you guys it's just Loki was doing so well the day and night before last and now he's starting to go backwards. I'm really starting to lose hope that he's gonna make it through this and I really need someone to talk to. He's started moving around more which I thought was a good thing but now he's not eating as much I'm lucky if I manage maybe a half a ml syringe compared to the five to seven he was eating. All he wants to do is climb up onto my shoulder and and lay on my pillow ad sleep which would be fine if I could get him to eat like he was but he's not :'( I thought him wanting to climb onto my shoulder was a good thing at first but now I'm starting to fear that his behavior and refusal to eat much (even his cherry flavored baytril which he LOVED) is his way of telling me it's time and that he just wants to be near me when he goes. His labored breathing has come back too. I did manage to get a tiny bit of puppy can food in him few minutes ago but not much considering we're talking about a rat who can eat a whole cheese burger.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm so sorry about Loki. I wouldn't give up hope yet if I were you. I would exhaust all other options (as I know you have been doing as well). Have you also tried to give him yogurt or baby food? Or even soy milk. Really easy things that won't take him much effort to eat but will get something in his tummy. I don't have much experience in the business of sick ratties, but I would try to make him as comfy and happy as possible. If it's his time, I'm sure he will find a way to let you know. Until then, keep your head up and give many kisses and snuggles to your little Loki.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm here to talk and listen. I'm so sorry Loki isn't doing as well. If there were something I could do to make him well again I would. Sounds like you and him have a very strong bond though, and sometimes when the end is near that can make all the difference in the world. I hope I'm sating the right thing, but I think of what Patch Adams said. "You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarentee you win. no matter what the outcome." I know you've been treating Loki, and if it's time, he'll go knowing he was loved.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried soy milk we don't have baby food or yogurt. the food the vetgave him is a powder you mix with water all he has to do is lick. I am trying very hard to make him comfortable. Thanks c': I will

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear but when i've had a rat with a serious issue (like pneumonia) they have become clingier towards the last few days. They also all seem to want to be out of the cage, its natures way of them protecting there cage mates by dieing away from them. It may not be the case and he might just be improving but its one to keep in mind so if it happens its not so much of a shock. If its the case the worrying about it wont do anything, instead enjoy your time together and dont panic about getting more food down him, give him options and if he wont take it then let him have a break then try something else later. Its so easy to get lost in trying to fix them and loose the chance to give them the love and comfort they want before they go and if he isnt close to passing on then the extra time spent just enjoying each others company could help cheer him up and encourage him to eat a bit more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear but when i've had a rat with a serious issue (like pneumonia) they have become clingier towards the last few days. They also all seem to want to be out of the cage, its natures way of them protecting there cage mates by dieing away from them. It may not be the case and he might just be improving but its one to keep in mind so if it happens its not so much of a shock. If its the case the worrying about it wont do anything, instead enjoy your time together and dont panic about getting more food down him, give him options and if he wont take it then let him have a break then try something else later. Its so easy to get lost in trying to fix them and loose the chance to give them the love and comfort they want before they go and if he isnt close to passing on then the extra time spent just enjoying each others company could help cheer him up and encourage him to eat a bit more.
Much wisdom, here.

I'm sorry you're facing this difficult and scary time with him, but the focus being on time spent together, rather than the actual logistics of being his nurse...well, you won't regret that time and exchange of love, no matter the outcome, medically.

Sending vibes for you guys.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! That's what I was most afraid of.But he's still holding on! I actually finally decided to try putting apple juice in his water bottle since he hasnt touched it in weeks and he started drinking of it immediately! So maybe a good sign? He's been chowing down on baby soy formula and I had him eating baby bananas but I can't afford to go back to the store right now to get more. But he's been willingly eating it so *hopeful* the one thing that's starting to bother me is he's not wanting to take his meds now. He LOVED taking his cherry flavored baytril syrup and now I have to force it. It makes me feel so bad but he has to take it. I am trying to spend as much time with him as I can. The night before last he spent like 4 hours laying on me on my bed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much wisdom, here.

I'm sorry you're facing this difficult and scary time with him, but the focus being on time spent together, rather than the actual logistics of being his nurse...well, you won't regret that time and exchange of love, no matter the outcome, medically.

Sending vibes for you guys.
Thank you so much! That is very true. Your vibes are much appreciated.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so glad to hear he's feeling some better.

Continued vibes for more good time with him.
I'm not sure if he's feeling better or not. As I've said before and to his vet it's like for everything good thing i get; i get something bad with it. Like when I got him to eat the powder/water mix from the vet the first 24 hrs he did great and was taking regular amounts of it like he was supposed to and he started moving around more. As soon as he began to get more active he stopped eating as much. So I changed what I was feeding him and he began to eat more again and then his breathing got worse. It's like one step forward and two steps back. But thank you so much! Your vibes are still very much appreciated and needed!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for taking so long to respond back to this thread. I've been kinda busy with the new babies and all and taking care of loki and I kinda forgot about it/didn't think anyone else was going to comment on it. I really appreciate all your help and advise and support though it really REALLY means a LOT to me. <3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts