Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pimento was having some respiratory problems, so today she was prescribed Baytril and Prednisone. Tonight she drank water out of a syringe and had a few licks of avocado, then I gave her the Baytril and her first dose of Prednisone. She was moving around a little before the dose, but then she just snuggled on my lap in a towel. Then, no more movement-she died within minutes. Now, she was sick, but does anyone think the steroid might have triggered her death immediately? She just passed away in her sleep, no movement or noise. I'm ok, but feeling terribly guilty that giving her the medicine killed her and I just need some reassurance. I have given rats these same medications before with success.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i doubt that the drugs caused her death, it was probably just too late by the time you gave them to her and she was on her way out anyway. i'm sorry for your loss, but don't feel that it was your fault in any way, at least you were there for her at the end.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Steroids can lower the immune system, but one dose wouldn't do too much D: IF she was very ill knowing that steroids lower the immune system I wouldn't want to put her on them until she was stable.

But I don't think one dose would do it unless it was a OD. What doseage were you giveing?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dose was .20 (mg? I believe). The vet marked it on the syringe, and it was the same dose Sprinkles had and she was about the same weight.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
.2 cc of the 20 mg pred? Yeah, Odin's on .50 cc twice a day right now, I tried to bring it down since I'm suppose to wean him off of it but I noticed his breathing was more labored again, so I bumped it up again :/ But .25 cc is not an overdose though.

Maybe it was just too late and the respitory got her. That or it could of been cardiovascular which might be more likely. She could of had a heart attack T_T I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
The prednisone works fast but not that fast. It sounds like it was just too late to do anything.

Sorry for your loss. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts