Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still not found anyone near me that have any rats for sale.
I swear if one more person tells me to buy my son a hamster or a gerbil i will scream!!! :x People just don't understand. We have lots of pets, but we miss having a rat.
I have found a pet store that will probably have some in at the end of February, but when you are 6 that seems a very long time.
Going to another pet shop on the off chance after work today.
I will let you know how I get on!
A :?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I had the same problem when looking for 2 of the 3 girls i have now. I just moved up to scotland and couldnt find a breeder ANYWERE ! so i hunted down pet shops. And scrutinised them. Found a really nice one eventually..

Good luck gettin yours ! xx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your rats are really cute. I love the ones with the smudges on their noses.
Spencer was silver/grey with a white tummy, but I've had all sorts. Been looking at some of the pictures on the forum and there are some real cuties. Not sure about the hairless ones. Are they an American thing or do we get them in the UK. Is it an actual breed? :D

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks. Hairless rats..not a subject im hugely familiar with. I think its a recessive gene (like albino people and such)) Or it can be caused by a double rex gene ((two rex rats mating)) I think we can get them in the UK but probably not easily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When the time comes for me to find my rats, chances are I'll have the same problem. I don't trust many of the pet stores around here, so I may have to go over to the mainland to find a breeder.

Have you checked animal rescues? Sometimes they get the unsold members of accidental litters =)

I think hairless rats probably show up unintentionally in the UK, but may not be bred for sale quite as much as they are in North America. They require quite a bit of extra care, and hairless animals often have additional health problems that their furry brethren may not suffer from. For a 6-year-old they may not be the perfect pet - especially if you aren't horribly fond of their appearance xD

But! If you can find a breeder with hairless rats, it may be worth it to ask if they plan to have any furred litters in the near future, or know of any other breeders who do. Double rex rats are also born with rexs (they're incredibly soft, their fur is wavy or curly rather then straight and 'plush' rather then silky) and normal furred rats - so be sure to look at all your options =D

xD I've heard that double rexs and 'hairless' rats are different things completely, but I'm not perfectly sure...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts