Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my first rat daisy from wilsons she was amazing no problems then after she past on i got toby and cody from wilsons amazing again no problems adjusting to me or their new home no problem handling then i went to pet smart in a fish tank with no food and hardly any water and wood shavings i found roobs he has been an absolute nightmare of a rat i love him 2 peaces and wont get rid of him but he squeeks like **** every time i approch his cadge rips chunks out my other rats scratches me terribly and is very unloving i have now had him since december he is slowly getting better i take him out on his own for 20 mins and just hold and stroke him then i get the other 2 rats out with him for 40mins (this is minimum at least 1st everyday) hes becoming more confident when he is on his own now but i cant walk around with him like i do with my others as he trys to dive off me on to the nearest thing also he eats non stop and gets thu 3 bottols of water aday but is healthy otherwise!! hes still not to socialble now any help will be recived with many thanks!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i thinki remember you you posting about this before. you were saying you were doing the forced socialization. keep that up. that he's making any progress is a good sign but keep in mind this could take anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or more. it all depends on his experience prior to you and from the sounds of it it wasn't good. his over eating and seemingly obessive drinking seems to be related to being housed like he was in the pet store. maybe he fears that there won't be more food or water for a while and so gets as much as he can when it is there. jumping from your shoulders may be the same lack of confidence in humans or he could be trying to get a better look at something and he's really curious about everything. also some rats are just not shoulder rats and prefer to be held in your hands. i have had a few of those rats. one of them was excessively curious about everything and liked the vantage point of the hands better, another was heavily abused before i got her and liked the security the hands offered better then the shoulder (unless i was wearing a hoodie then she'd hang out cuddled in the hood) and i currently have a rat that is just a goob. she's very sweet and gives kisses constantly and EXPECTS the hand to be there when she wants to get off the shoulder for a better cuddle. i think she likes the attention difference the hands offer more then the shoulder.

but coming back from my tangent, my advice is to just keep working one it. be patient, he'll come round eventually. try taking him in the shower with you and take the others with you once he's a bit better around them. take a good long warm shower with them. i find this always helps nervous rats clam down and bond better and it never fails in getting other rats to get along better. in any case its worth the try. keep us updated.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well now he has started biting and bullying my other rat cody as cody is smaller, he dosnt seem 2 want to be near me on my shoulder or in my hands! im not gunna give up tho!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts