Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed my rats cage has been getting stinker than usual. I have 3 male rats and I have tried many different types of bedding. I was wondering what type of bedding do you use? How often to you clean your rats cage? Any suggestions on the smell level?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Aspen + a little vanilla in the water bottles. I know some people are wary of the vanilla... but in reality you don't use very much and my boys absolutely love the vanilla water. Makes them smell better... so I absolutely love the vanilla water too. It cuts down on odor and even if it's just a placebo effect... I totally notice it.

However, some ratties won't like it and it's good to have another water bottle available if you decide to try it. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Aspen has never worked well for me. Before I used fleece I used a paper cat litter w/baking soda (which I still use for the litter boxes) Oh my god do I love that stuff! I noticed a serious drop in smell when I switched to it. I clean my cage every 4-5 day, granted I have females and I've heard over cleaning a male cage can lead to over marking. Also, have you tried cleaning with vinegar? And wiping down cage bars because they can get really icky.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Can you place the source of the smell? Is it the cage itself, the accessories, the litterbox or the rats? I found that our cage was getting pretty smelly so we switched from paper bedding in the litterbox to aspen which helped a lot with the smell. We use fleece/u-haul liners everywhere else and wash them about every 5 days. We have 4 boys in a dcn.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I use fleece and spot clean daily. My boys get carefresh in the litter trays with a bit of baking soda in the bottom. I scub it down weekly with a 50/50 white vinegar to water solution. I do not advise vanilla in the water as it needs to be changed daily, its alcoholic, and you cant control how much vanilla/alcohol they ingest unless you are taking the bottle from them. Its costly to boot as you arnt suppost to use imitation I believe but rather "the good stuff"

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I personally love fleece, I use fleece and my rats are litter trained I use aspen shavings in their litter boxes. The litter boxes I change maybe twice a week, the cage I clean once a week I do spot clean every day.

Some tips I have is change hammocks when you clean the cage, keep the litter boxes clean, if you have any fabric toys wash them when you change hammocks, if you have any wood toys I would change them an get new once maybe twice a month because they hold a lot of smell in them especially if they have sat in pee, I clean plastic toys when changing the fleece I soak them because pee can get in the holes and stuff.

I also use a pet deodorizer that I got that is 100% pet safe and I use a vinegar water solution when I clean the cage an spray down the trays with it and bars.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use a base of clay kitty litter which really kills odor and is safe so long as you use plain clay (no other ingredients) and then a layer of paper bedding and hay on top. I also use a litter tray which they use 99% of the time which is also filled with kitty litter because it dessicatea the pee and poop which helps kill smell. The worst smells happen when poop is in contact with wet pee as this fosters the bacteria that produce ammonia.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was about to start the same topic today. It seems my two girls' favorite passtime is peeing on the floor around the cage. :) Rcently it got more and more smelly in their room. I wipe the floor daily with rug and universal cleaner, and every other day with clorox. I also wipe the cage wires and floors daily with either baby wipes, or water+vinegar. But it does very little. Anyways the bedding has to be replaced evry 4-5 days (it is paper bedding), and cage bottom box and all accessories are washed at the time. I am running out of ideas, and what you guys describe does not really work in the case of my stinky stinkers...
But rats themselves do not smell bad. They smell like always, like rat.

I saw some product at Petmast that is supposed to reduce urine smell. When I take a picture I will put it in another post for oppinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts