Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I got my two male rats a week ago tomorrow. Since I've had them, their poop is formed, but really stinky. I've read a couple times that their poop shouldn't stink, so I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I was told they were 5 weeks old when I got them.. so six weeks now. They are eating lab blocks from the bulk food bin...this is one thing that I was thinking my be an issue and maybe changing to a name brand could help? I've already cleaned their cage once at day 4.. but it almost immediately stunk.. I guess I could also be smelling urine? I'm using carefresh bedding and then a different paper based litter in their litter box. One of the rats also kind of stinks when I hold him while the other one doesn't (the same one also does some fear poopin on me.. so that could be part of the problem). Any suggestions about less stinky poop and/or cage?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just noticed this.. but one of them appears to not be cleaning it's butt/under the tail.. it wasn't like that earlier today so I dont know if it's left it there long... just thought it was a little weird?

·
Registered
30 Posts
hmmm could this be diet related? I notice i get stinky poos if I give him too much non-rat food. Once I gave him some of my potato chip and noticed a couple hours later his poo was pretty stinky.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Where did you get them from? When I got two boys from Petsmart, they smelled awful. Not even just their poop. Them. It was diet related though because they were fed terrible food at the store. After about two to three weeks on a good diet, the smell disappeared. The diet change itself, though, could also cause icky poop, even if their diet wasn't terrible before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got them from a local pet shop.. they are eating generic lab blocks from their bulk bin... would it be better to switch them to a name brand block? If so, any recommendations? Also, for the rat that smells.. would it be a good idea to bathe him? Or maybe use an unscented baby wipe? They are still nervous so a wipe would probably be easiest if it is safe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I got my girls I tried slowly changing them to another more generic and cheaper lab block but had the same issues. We're currently eating Oxbow Regal Rat which they love and I haven't had any smelly poo issues anymore either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts