Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know information about stitches.
one of my girls just had surgery and the area where her stitches are seem to have scrunched up and they were bleeding last night.
My mom is calling the vet today. They aren't supposed to come out until next monday. I was thinking maybe she was chewing on them but my vet said she's never had a rat chew on their stitches....maybe she jinx'd it lol
*The vet got most of the stitches on the inside and covered it with glue stuff

She's on antibiotics but can they still get infected?

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
When did she have surgery? Was she given any take home pain meds?

People usually say that pain medication is the most effective way of stopping stitch-chewing.

If she's on antibiotics it helps prevent infection - but it doesn't mean that infection can't occur. I've had post-scrap boys on abs and their wounds still get infected. You need to make sure her cage is as clean as possible. If she's not already on them, maybe try lining the cage with towels instead of litter type bedding. I use white towels - it helps me monitor post-op bleeding etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The surgery was Thursday and the vet gave her a pain killer shot that was supposed to last 24 hours. But they didn't send anything home.
When we called they said don't worry about it until it looks open, which it doesn't but I'm still worried about it.

The vet said they wouldn't send any pain meds home unless she looked like she was in pain. But when I got home and saw her after her surgery she was doing the pain stretch/sucking in stomach thing. I thought that was dumb...poor baby :(

is there anything I can put on it...the vet didn't say anything about that so I don't know.

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I would leave them - the more you fiddle/clean the more you will remind her that they are there. DO keep a very close eye on it - bleeding usually isn't a good thing as it can lead to an opening for an infection.

Clean her cage thoroughly, make sure the bedding is cleaned at least every other day. Keep everything as sterile as possible. If the bleeding persists or you notice any redness, swelling or 'hardening' beneath the incision, call your vet and ask their opinion asap.

If she had the op Thursday, I don't think you should worry so much about her opening the wound up - usually aroud day 3 or 4 the wound should have started (at the very least) to knit together and be well on it's way to closing.

Your vet sounds very much like mine - they give a pain injection immediately post op and don't send anything home as 'they shouldn't need it'. In my opinion, as our furkids are unable to TELL us if they need it or not and as they are very good at hiding their pain, it should be given for a couple of days minimum afterwards, as a just in case. I doubt many hospitals would send you home after surgery like that and not expect you to use some form of pain medication. o,O Now, I tend to push the point home with the vet, if he's not going to give me the pain meds, I'll find someone else who will. I've seen so many rats (here and other forums) soar through surgerys thanks to post-op pain relief - it could have saved me many a stitch chewing nightmare in the past - had I known better!

Good luck with your girlie. Remember, if in doubt, call the vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts