Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had my rats out for playtime and I noticed something on the two new babies. I was assured they were little ladies and they look like girls to me, too, but of course when I flipped one on her back and noticed swelling near the tail I freaked out. (They are 6 weeks, definitely obvious who's who, but anyway.) I felt this swelling and as I prodded it I realized it was poop -- as I pushed it, the poop had started to "slide out," but as I released it she stopped pooping. I in the end expressed it (correct terminology? lol) because this is my sweet timid girl and I wanted to not have to go track down a fear poop later.

I noticed this phenomenon with the other baby less than a minute later. I am a newish rat owner, I have two adult rat ladies I've had since June who were born in February. I obviously don't make a habit of watching them at the exact minute they poop, so I'm not sure if this is just normal pooping behavior? This question sounds super silly, but I recently learned about megacolon and now I'm paranoid about all things poop.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It happens sometimes, it could mean they are a little low on fiber, but mostly as long as its soft and comes out like a normal poo don't worry, if itvery hard and dry it could be constipation

1 - 3 of 3 Posts