Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How or what have you done that seems to work best to stop plastic chewers??

One of my rats has been chewing the two litter boxxes and the trays in my cage. Theres a lava rock, multiple different wooden chews, she just started doing this when I got the new cage. I keep yelling at her like raising my voice and telling her to stop but she still does it, and I've tried the tapping her on the head and telling her to stop but she normally runs away from the thing she is chewing when she notices me coming to the cage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hate to tell you, but you probably can't stop her. Some rats are just worse chewers than others, and some are especially fond of chewing plastic. You could switch to glass baking dishes as litterboxes, and you might have to invest in a metal bottomed cage.

One thing you can try is trying to give her more exercise (in and out of the cage) and mental stimulation. The more time she has on her paws and the more boredom she faces, the more destructive she is likely to be.

Also, be careful that you are not rewarding her with attention when she chews by coming over and engaging her. I have had rats that purposefully chewed on things in their cage to specifically attract their owner's attention, because they had learned it got them attention and engagement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed to a Duetto with Metal flooring... Rat's are good, they're not hard metal good though! ;) .. I feel your pain, I once kept wondering why my girl Saffron kept escaping.. she'd chewed the base out of the cage! - how she managed to even get purchase on that smoothed edge i don't know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts