Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m putting this question out there for anyone who has a Critter Nation of some sort. What are the dimensions of the storage rack underneath? I want to buy storage bins before I get mine but I don’t know what size to buy. Thank you so much!
-Ari

·
Registered
952 Posts
34 3/4" wide, 24" deep, 8 1/4" tall.

I used two [Large Tint Stackable Storage Drawers] from The Container Store under my old CN and they fit really nicely. I drilled holes in the bottom of the plastic shell of the drawers and zip-tied them to the metal grate of the CN shelf so they would stay in place when I open and shut the drawer piece.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
34 3/4" wide, 24" deep, 8 1/4" tall.

I used two [Large Tint Stackable Storage Drawers] from The Container Store under my old CN and they fit really nicely. I drilled holes in the bottom of the plastic shell of the drawers and zip-tied them to the metal grate of the CN shelf so they would stay in place when I open and shut the drawer piece.

View attachment 302827
Omg thank you SO MUCH! This is really helpful. I’m looking into the 16qt Sterilite plastic storage bins from Target, I’m going to use one for my digbox and they are only $3 each so I’ll get two more as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
OH! I've been looking for something as well. I love the storage space but without a bin or something it looks so messy down there. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I already have my eye on these for rat food
I wouldn't suggest non-airtight containers for large quantities of food. Rat food, like dog food, can lose nutrients or even spoil when exposed to air. If the bags that the food comes in are resealable, It's generally recommended to keep the food in the original sealed bag for storage.

Even in a sealed container, rat blocks/kibble don't stay fresh forever. I try not to purchase more food than I can go through in a few months and I keep it in the freezer until I need it. If I wasn't able to freeze it, I'd probably want only around 2 months of food at a time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't suggest non-airtight containers for large quantities of food. Rat food, like dog food, can lose nutrients or even spoil when exposed to air. If the bags that the food comes in are resealable, It's generally recommended to keep the food in the original sealed bag for storage.

Even in a sealed container, rat blocks/kibble don't stay fresh forever. I try not to purchase more food than I can go through in a few months and I keep it in the freezer until I need it. If I wasn't able to freeze it, I'd probably want only around 2 months of food at a time.
Yeah, but unfortunately the food I order comes in a bag that's practically impossible to re-seal. Plus, my boys go through food fast so I don't think it'll be a problem :lol:

I found these in a video a rat youtuber posted- she uses them for food- and she's quite popular and knowledgable about rats so I don't think there will be any problem :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts