Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As posted on a previous topic, I had a mild suspicion that my boys might have myco. I had opted to try herbal remedies before deciding if I should take them to the vet. The herbal tinctures have helped immensely... the sneezing as well as the presence of porphyrin has been reduced to almost gone, as well as the lethargy.

I still have a huge preoccupation with Duncan, and so I've made an appointment with the vet for Friday (he is in surgery all day tomorrow, so he can't see my boy). What worries me in Duncan's odd behavior is his lack of mobility (which I see that is not lethargy anymore)... he walks slow, doesn't seem to be able to hold his food, looses his balance very easily, his reaction to noises (that would normally send a rat running) seem retarded and he can't seem to run at all. I've also noticed he's opted to sleep at the bottom of the cage when he normally loved to sleep up top. He used to run to the cage door (with the rest of the gang) whenever I approached them, and although he certainly seems very attentive to my presence I hardly moves... most certainly will NOT run up the "floors" to get to the "treat" door... he just kind of dumbly lingers on the bottom looking up at me... wanting the treat, but making no attempt to "run" up for it like would normally do. Instead I have to bring the food to him - which he clumsily tries to grab, but is not always successful, then usually drops it and eats it from the cage floor.... he eats happily, and eats it all. He is a little over a year old.

Now... he is going to the vet on Friday... but can anyone tell me if they recognize these symptoms and what they might sound like. I'd like to know what the possibilities might be so that I at least have some kind of input before I head over to the doctor.

·
Registered
798 Posts
...I would find a different vet if possible or call your vet and tell him its an emergency... It sounds bad.
I think he may be dehydrated, so try your best to get some kind of fluids into him, and if you have any mushy foods like baby food or yogurt feed him that, it will be easier for him to get it down. Also try your best to keep him warm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately he's the only vet around that treats rats.

As for Duncan... he's drinking and eating fine. I just pressed on his skin and it bounces back very quickly.... that's the odd part I guess... he smells food and goes bonkers... he had fruit and yogurt this morning, on top of his regular food and treats. I moved the water bottle down to the first level so he can reach it easily.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Okay so you're saying that hes relatively normal now? Or am i misunderstanding. And I really find it crappy that there are no vets around that treat rats. Seriously I called my vets office and asked them if they could do surgery on my rats and they said no, but they can do check ups? what kinda crap is that?! Vets these days... I really wonder if they're in it for the animals anymore.

I'd monitor your rat closely in case of any more signs of illness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no no... he's not normal... my point is exactly that. He has his huge rat appetite, and he seems to be well hydrated... the problem though, and the odd thing, is that he seems to not be able to - climb, hold his food, or walk with a brisk and healthy stand... he tends to kind of "crawl" in a way... he isn't really crawling, but his weight seems almost too much for him to bare even though he's not fat. I thought he was lethargic... but now I understand that it's more than that... what gave it away, is his difficulty in holding his food.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
How long has he been like that? This worries me, because it sounds a lot like what happened to my first rat... but for her, that happened overnight, she was fine one day and the next she was acting like that, didn't move well or fast, but was still eating and drinking like normal... and that night she died... I thought if she was still eating and drinking she couldn't be *that* sick and could wait until the next day to see a vet, but she didn't make it.

Definitely get him to a vet as soon as you can. Call him and tell him what's going on and how worried you are and that it's URGENT you get your rat seen TODAY.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mana said:
How long has he been like that? This worries me, because it sounds a lot like what happened to my first rat... but for her, that happened overnight, she was fine one day and the next she was acting like that, didn't move well or fast, but was still eating and drinking like normal... and that night she died... I thought if she was still eating and drinking she couldn't be *that* sick and could wait until the next day to see a vet, but she didn't make it.

Definitely get him to a vet as soon as you can. Call him and tell him what's going on and how worried you are and that it's URGENT you get your rat seen TODAY.
I noticed he was having difficulty holding his food about two days ago, he was still climbing up to the third floor his appetite has always been very healthy, so the first thing that crossed my mind was that he might have been too fat and was starting to get lazy. It became very apparent that he was having major difficulties yesterday. His symptoms are progressing - quickly I'm afraid. I took him to the vet today with the hopes that I might be able to squeeze in, but I had no such luck. I have an appointment tomorrow - the fact that he is eating and drinking gives me hope.

I looked through the links that Stephanie posted as a reference above... and, his symptoms sure do sound too close to the degenerative osteoarthritis ... but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Stephanie said:
Stephanie... he is a little over a year old, by a month or so... he is hanging in there, still eating and drinking... I hope he hold on for a lot longer, and that tomorrow he will be on his way to getting better.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
He will be in my thoughts and all my rats will be bruxing and boggling for him to get all better! Good luck at the vets tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oh and you may want to print out that page that sounds close to his problems to take to the vet with you that is what I always do with my vet LOL It always makes me feel better that way and I also like to do a bit of research and get some treatment plans ready to run by the vet. My vet probably hates me for that because I am always telling him what to subscribe LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I was taking too many Advil after my migraine meds stopped working the lining of my stomach wore down and I could not hold down food and felt really tired and week. Maybe he has an ulcer...if rattys get them. It came on rather fast too. Degenerative Osteoarthritis seems like something that would come on gradually.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stephanie said:
Oh and you may want to print out that page that sounds close to his problems to take to the vet with you...
That's a good idea... I think I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

JESSU said:
Maybe he has an ulcer...if rattys get them. It came on rather fast too. Degenerative Osteoarthritis seems like something that would come on gradually.
I'll mention it to the vet... right now, I rather make sure to cover all the possibilities.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the vet this morning - The doctor was very perplexed with Duncan's situation. He strongly believes it has nothing to do with joint or muscle problems, but neurological. Now, taking into consideration that you can't just x-ray the head and see into the brain - he can only speculate... now, he said that there are somewhere close to 50 different neurological problems that can affect rats, from those he then narrowed down the possibilities as much as possible. From those possibilities he then started with the ones that are treatable. He mentioned that there have been some cases of rats having some kind of oral infections, that although sometimes go unnoticed, the bacteria will then migrate from the mouth up to the brain. With this in mind, he put Duncan on an antibiotic and insisted I come back on Monday. He was so intrigued by Duncan's situation that he's calling Monday's visit a free-bee. He wants to see how the antibiotics will affect him, and it will also give him some time to do some research. He's had a wealth of experience with rats as patients - so I trust his opinion, and honesty.

In the meantime, I'm trying to do as much research as I can... and I thought I'd start here.

Does anyone have any stories, websites, or even books that might possibly reference any type of neurological ailment? Any kind of help, will be greatly appreciated.

oh... on a last note - while at the vet I noticed that he skin, on his back/rump area looked very strange. It was covered in yellow and brown spots that had certainly not been there before. I also just noticed a while ago that there is also a little tiny "pimple" looking lump. I guess "tiny" is relative - it's as big as a pimple would look on a person. The skin over and around it is red, not as porous... in other words, it looks a bit angry. I felt it over and around it... it doesn't seem to be under the skin, but in it... just like a pimple I suppose.

I'll call the vet tomorrow just so that he can take it into consideration.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The "pimple" may be an abscess which is easily treated LoL I unfortunately do not have any books or link but you may want to consider talkingto Debbie Ducommon about the situation. Your vet sounds liek a very good person. If you want I can give you Debbie D's email address or you can find it on www.ratfanclub.org She may have some insight into the situation. You sound like a very concerned rat parent right now and that is good but try not to stress too much about this. Your vet seems to have everything under control and you need to make sure that Duncan is comfie and happy. Duncan will be in my ratties thoughts till we have an update and know for sure what is goign on. Sounds like you are doing everything right and you need to take comfort in that. I am sure that Duncan will be just fine even if he has a small disability. My rat has neurological problems and he lives happily with three other boys even though he has head tilt. He still climbs and runs and plays just a little sideways sometimes lol. Best of luck with everything!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts