Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a very interesting problem pop up recently in one of my girls, Thumbelina. I noticed several small growths on Thumbelina's tummy, one on each side just above where her hind legs are, and one about an inch away from one of her front legs. They were in the same areas that I've seen mammary tumors pop up in my other girls in the past, although I thought the "tumors" were unusually soft. I didn't think this was an unusual medical issue, so I made a pre-op vet appointment today so the vet could look her over. I just figured these growths would result in the usual tumor removal, biopsy, and a spay to prevent more tumors from growing. My veterinarian drew some fluid out of the growths to look at under the microscope like he usually does. Most of the tumor samples that he's taken in the past didn't include very much, maybe a little blood and whatever cells stuck to the needle after he took it out, but this time was VERY different. When he pulled back the plunger, out came a white fluid. The vet said it was very sticky, and a lot like thick milk. He wasn't sure if it was puss or what it might be, so he looked at it under the microscope. It turned out to be milk! He said it had some bacteria in it, but it was just milk! The vet said that he thought this could be due to an infection, or maybe even a growth on the uterus/ovaries. He's started Thumbelina on baytril, and she'll be getting medication for 14 days. If it's an infection, the antibiotic should clear it up. If not, she'll need to be scheduled for surgery to get spayed. If you have heard of this type of thing, what was the cause? Little Thumbelina is such a sweetie, I'd hate to think that something fatal could be happening in that tiny body! Thumbelina is about a year and 4 months old, and has never been exposed to an unaltered male, so she can't be pregnant. I've dealt with mammary and pituitary tumors, malocclusion, mites, and respiratory issues, but I've never seen or even heard of this happening!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
She might have blocked milk ducts.

from http://www.ratfanclub.org/tumors.html

A much less common cause of a lump in the breast area is a blocked milk duct. I know of one case. The firm 1/2" X 1/4" lump was attached to the nipple but not anywhere else. This rat had weaned her babies only a week or two before the occurrance, but blocked milk ducts can also occur in non-nursing females. The treatment of warm compresses every 4 hours cleared it up in a week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts