Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the lack of hello, but I figured I'd come here as soon as I could. My pet rat Baba Ghanoush has been doing this weird action this evening. We gave him a few Cheerios as a treat, and after eating one, he'd stretch out and twist his body, stretching out a hind leg as well. I don't know what it could mean, but it's definitely not normal. I don't know if anyone here recognizes this, but I'd appreciate any input. Thank you all.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
umm, hopefully he wasn't choking because rats have no gag reflex & they are not able to vomit. If this was/is a case of choking then you have to perform what is referred to as a "rat fling"

http://www.ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html

there are also many other helpful tips located here

As for cheerios, this is a treat that many of us offer so I don't think it was the cheerios specifically. If the rat was choking it was probably because he was eating to fast & any food could have caused them to choke.

Please come back & update us on this

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think my boys do the same thing when they wake up, they stretch out and turn to one side making this shape ) and the stretch one leg out off the ground. I could be thinking of something else though, physical descriptions are difficult on the internet.

Has he done it before without a food 'cue'? Does anything else seem wrong?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
A1APassion said:
umm, hopefully he wasn't choking because rats have no gag reflex & they are not able to vomit. If this was/is a case of choking then you have to perform what is referred to as a "rat fling"

http://www.ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html

there are also many other helpful tips located here

As for cheerios, this is a treat that many of us offer so I don't think it was the cheerios specifically. If the rat was choking it was probably because he was eating to fast & any food could have caused them to choke.

Please come back & update us on this
Sorry to pounce on your thread A1APassion but the Ratty Fling is ONLY to be used if the rat has stopped breathing or is unconscious. IF you perform it while they are choking and still breathing you could lodge the food item in a worse place and kill them. 8O

Most times choking rats work things out on their own.

Your boy does a stretch and sucks in his tummy? That is an owwie stretch...here's an extreme one of my girl who had just come back from an e-spay before she got her pain meds.

If he is stretching out a hind leg casually behind him, then he's most likely just having a really nice stretch, just like we do at times. :) Does he yawn too?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Completely non-related, so I apologise - but I'm super impressed that your candles are still one piece lilspaz

All mine are chewed to pieces within moments if the rats are allowed near them! Lol

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ration1802 said:
Completely non-related, so I apologise - but I'm super impressed that your candles are still one piece lilspaz

All mine are chewed to pieces within moments if the rats are allowed near them! Lol
Furniture is much tastier than candles by far ;) The candles gained some chew marks don't worry. LOL

I actually have a small 1x2 board on the end table for them to chew on now :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
Sorry to pounce on your thread A1APassion but the Ratty Fling is ONLY to be used if the rat has stopped breathing or is unconscious. IF you perform it while they are choking and still breathing you could lodge the food item in a worse place and kill them. 8O

Most times choking rats work things out on their own.

Your boy does a stretch and sucks in his tummy? That is an owwie stretch...here's an extreme one of my girl who had just come back from an e-spay before she got her pain meds.
As you will note I only offered a link to a page that explained how & when this maneuver should be used.

From the description who can tell what was happening with the rat. I just hope that person comes back & lets us know it was just some jerky move & everything is ok.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I can see why lilspaz68 said what she did. You did link the page, but what you said was:

If this was/is a case of choking then you have to perform what is referred to as a "rat fling"
Which reads, "If a rat is choking at all, you must to do the rat fling." which can be as deadly as the idea that, "If a person is choking at all, you must do the Heimlich."

If a rat is choking, but is conscious, let them work it out. IF they then loose consciousness, THEN do the rat fling. In the same way that IF a person is coughing, let them work it out. IF they no longer are coughing and are choking, THEN do the Heimlich. Interrupting the body's defense (if that's the right word) while choking can do a LOT more harm than good.

It's nitpicking, but it's an important nitpick. The way some people skim instead of read, they might miss that important info on the page. :)

All that said, I can't find in the OP anything about a jerky movement? Just stretching. There was the mention of a Cheerio, but not that there was a problem with choking itself. Sounds to me like the rat was "owie stretching" (which could be a concern), or just stretching out. I see ratties do that a lot, especially after a yawn. :) Choking would entail drolling and a "freaked-out" rat, not just stretching/stumbling/twisting.

Still around, Mike? How's Baba Ghanoush?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts