Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed my rat's (two 10? month females) pee has smelled a lot stronger. Maybe it's a weird thing to notice but i think it's odd. I clean their cage regularly, both spot and deep cleaning. But lately I've had to wash their cage much more often and i find it smells really bad much quicker than before.

Is it something I'm feeding them?? is it a health concern??

They've showed no signs of any illness, they seem incredibly healthy. No red eyes, no sluggishness, eating and drinking plenty. Does this just happen as they mature and get older?

UPDATE// One has started to have raspy breathing, like an infection. I will do my best to get help as soon as possible, could these be related? They both were sick when i bought the as babies and recovered very well. They haven't been exposed to other rats and I'm not sure what has brought on this new infection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you feeding them? Are they drinking water frequently?
Yes they drink frequently and i always make sure they have new water. They eat Mazuri food bricks and sometimes Kaytee Fiesta treat mix (This mix has rubarb which in the past casued dyed pee in my older rats, if that's relevant). Throughout the weeks I'll give them a mix of frozen and fresh fruits and veggies, plus eggs and sometimes lean meats, along with some sort of carb (pasta usually or oats/rice), not daily tho.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mazuri changed their formula and it now has more than the recommended amount of protein, that might be contributing to the smell. You can switch to Oxbow Regal Rat or Science Selective which has the correct amount of protein (15% or less protein content).

23% protein content is waaaay too high in Mazuri!

Oxbow:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mazuri changed their formula and it now has more than the recommended amount of protein, that might be contributing to the smell. You can switch to Oxbow Regal Rat or Science Selective which has the correct amount of protein (15% or less protein content).

23% protein content is waaaay too high in Mazuri!
View attachment 305885

Oxbow:
View attachment 305886
thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts