Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I recently had my heart rat Mia put to sleep because of multiple tumors including a PT. I have three other girls and I was hoping I could introduce her cagemate Regan to my other pair as they play together perfectly during free range time. But after Mia passed, it seems that Regan and Kitten get into a lot of fights, even more so inside of the cage. During free range time it's less so but I've separated them as it seems it's not going to work. I know Regan is lonely, she's isolated and it's like she waiting for Mia to come back and I think a new friend would be good for her but on the other hand bad for me. My babies give me awful allergies that I battle everyday and I would love to eventually get down to only owning two at a time in the future and this would make me start all over with a new one.

The breeder that bred Mia recently had another litter with babies that look exactly like her. The temptation to own a baby that came from her 'lines' that looks just like her is so strong but odds are they would end up in terrible health just as she had. Mia stayed sick no matter what her entire life. Given it's from the same 'line' I'd assume the other babies would probably end up the same way..

Any ideas on how to perk Regan up? She used to run on her wheel all day and now she refuses treats, barely eats and never wants to leave her house. When I force her out and try to let her interact with my other pair, a scuffle breaks out for seemingly no reason.. I don't have experience with losing just one rat, Mia was my first loss. Advice would be great <3

·
Registered
58 Posts
You could try enrichment for your solo girl that doesn't include the others if fighting is bad. Try taking her places with you, keeping her with you out of the cage. I've had a solo guy 2 times and the constant contact really helps the depression. Side benefit: more cuddles. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! I've been smothering her with attention (when she'll let me) I've noticed her self barbering pretty bad but that's seemed to stop now. I've been carrying her around the house with me which makes her brux like crazy. It's odd because before Mia passed, Regan would never let me carry her lol I've always tried keep her on the bed with me as long as she wants to. I'm going to the petstore today to stock up on new treats and toys and maybe that'll help. I hate that she doesn't have a friend but It's a hard choice starting all over and hoping Regan would even accept another.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts