Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been struggling to get my rats out of their cage for free roam recently. I started free roaming them in my bathroom about 2 weeks ago. They had free roam in the bathtub before but now are allowed to free roam the whole bathroom. I would take them to the bathroom everyday and at first they would come out and play every few days and they would really enjoy it. I thought that at some point, like now, they would be comfortable enough to come out every day but they just havent been coming out recently. I take them to the bathroom when they are awake but when they get to the bathroom they sleep. I try to get them to play, because i can see they are still slightly interested in playing, but when i take them out they run back into the cage. When I take them back into my room, in their cage, they play happily in the cage so its obvious they only pretended to be tired in the bathroom.

I can tell they are more comfortable in my room but my parents dont want me having a playpen in here because they think the rats will jump out and get lost. Im also a bit scared to let them play on my bed because the one is very jumpy and will probably find some way off.

What should i do? How can i get them to come out for playtime because without them coming out i feel bad because rats need playtime.

· Registered
56 Posts
i cant really give you much info but i do have a question, did they get scared the last time they came into the bathroom?......and trust me i feel the parent thing. I am the one who started taking care of my dads breeding project....but being only 17 i have to go threw him to make any changes. it sucks lol

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant really give you much info but i do have a question, did they get scared the last time they came into the bathroom?......and trust me i feel the parent thing. I am the one who started taking care of my dads breeding project....but being only 17 i have to go threw him to make any changes. it sucks lol
The last time they played in there they ran around for a few minutes then the one went somewhere out of my view. I wanted to check on her so I just stood up and walked up to her, she is the more skittish one so she got a little fright when i stood up and then went back into the cage. The other one didnt get a fright but a minute later followed her sister back into the cage. I dont think that would have been enough of a fright to scare her out of playtime and that wouldnt explain why her sister doesnt come out either. They have had frights in the bathroom before by maybe knocking over one of their toys, then theyll run into the cage and then right back out for more playtime once they realise they were just being a bit silly, so im not sure why that time they maybe got a little more frightened and are now nervous of the bathroom.
I tried playtime a second time today and they were a little more interested at first, the one who got a fright he last time sniffed around at the door of the cage but then just climb to her hammack again and slept. And as i take them back to the room in their cage, they start playing and running around, in the cage, with no problem.

· Registered
Sten Sigurdsson & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella(R.I.P Harald Fairhair)
315 Posts
Are they ok with going into your shirt? If they feel safe in the shirt you can keep taking them out to the bathroom in your shirt for about an hour a day. They really need time outside of their cage in a place they feel ok to play in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts