Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys had witnessed any stubbornness or reluctance to try new things from older rats. I'm asking because my eldest boy is three now and has pretty much always had newspaper as cage liners (i tried fleece briefly when he was younger but it was in shreds in no time!) Since he's older now and the only remaining rat from the so called 'shredding' group i thought i'd try fleece again. I bought a darling green chequered fleece blanket and cut it into two liners for the cage. The only part of the cage that didn't have fleece was the inside of his litter tray which had only newspaper since i'd run out of the usual paper litter i use. ANYWAY (sorry for rambling), i discovered him curled up tightly in the litter tray and began to panic as i always do with older rats i find in that particular position in strange spot in the cage, i thought he must be passing on and so took him out onto my lap. Turns out he was fine, the second he was out he was bright eyed and happy to explore! It was then i realised that he'd actually prefer to lie on the miserable looking newspaper than the soft fleece. I had to shred some up and stick it in his house in order to get him in there! Luckily his cagemate (who's 1 1/2 years younger) seems unphased by the change and all of the girls in the other half of the cage are pretty happy about it too.

Hope i didn't bore you all, but it entertained me how much an elderly rat can resemble an elderly human (i have a great, great uncle in his 90s who still washes sheets in a huge bowl of boiling hot water!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
My girls are opposite they love their fleece lol I have all these hammocks and floor beds and they choose to just sleep on the floors laying half propped up against the side of the cage. Or they chose to be stinkers and sleep in the litter box

1 - 2 of 2 Posts