Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dela and Neera seem to still be battling these uri's... They were on Sulfamethoxazole suspension for about two weeks and were then switched to Baytril when it still didn't go away. Before this, they were treated with sulfamehtoxazole suspension for another URI (Maybe the same one?). What should I do? They still don't seem better...

I'm also out if medicine early again. I called and said that this has happened multiple times, so I hope they'll do something about it... I just don't know what to do anymore... My vet wanted me to get a nebulizer for Neera, but she's incredibly hand-shy and there's no way she'll let me give her that for 30 seconds, let alone 5-10 minutes! I just want them to feel better, but nothing seems to be working...

·
Registered
358 Posts
For Neutralizers, you have to build one to place a rat in. You can make out of Tupperware or platic bin, boar a whole for the hose and a few holes for air and place the rat in there. There are better instructions out there with pictures. Both of them have it? The only other thing I can suggest is look around their living space, make sure the place is well dusted and vacuumed. Place them in different area while cleaning the area. I have a humidifier running constantly because the air is super dry during winter and it use to help my previous sneezy rat. Have you tried different bedding or trying to clean with just water for a week to see if its a reaction smell from cleaning materials. Even if its "animal" safe they still could have a reaction. Is your cage on the floor? Can you elevate if it is?

Have you tried treating it like its an allergy? Ask the vet about baby benadrill I'm so sorry to hear what your going through. I had a rat that never stopped sneezing, ever. We did lots of things to alleviate they symptoms as best we could. Even after aggressive treatment. It was only the one, but two of them is concerning. Are they sisters?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. Dela doesn't seem as bad and she reacts to the medicine better. They both seem to be okayish right now, but it took two weeks of medicine for Neera to finally seem like she was doing better... I don't clean my room with anything but water for fear of making any of their symptoms worse... Their cage is a CN, so they are not directly on the ground. Their bedding is fleece with yesterday's news litter in the litter box, which they were on for months before they got URI's. I clean the bedding with a hypoallergenic, unscented, "baby" laundry detergent and I use less than I probably should per load. Again, I have used this for months before the uri's came along. I also do not have my window open, as Neera started sneezing once when I opened it.

I might look into a humidifier... How do you know how dry your room is? Also, they are not sisters, but I got them from the same store a day apart. So I should get the nebulizer for them? Or should I just keep them on the Baytril for a longer period of time, since Neera did eventually react to it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If an antibiotic is going to work, you should start seeing improvements within 3-5 days. If it stops working, you should try something else. I just recently had the same issue as you (even use fleece, clear detergent, and yesterday's news, plus a humidifier and air purifier!), but my boy actually got worse on the fifth day of baytril treatment. Nothing was working and I was feeling hopeless and upset. However, I finally tried doxycycline, and it cleared up the congestion, chain sneezing, and the porphyrin around his one eye within a few days. My rat still sneezes a little (it's been almost six weeks since he started the doxy), but his symptoms are no longer up and down and sneezing is all that's left. I was told that I might have to give it to him for as long as three months to clear up the sneezing since it took me quite a while to find medicine that actually worked (he started with sulfadimethoxine, then amoxicillin, then baytril - none of which helped and he slowly got a little worse until he started the doxy) . I'm actually hoping the sneezing stops once spring comes around! My humidifier can't keep up with the dry weather.

If the air in your rat room is dry, a humidifier will really help! My sick ratty sneezes a lot more on days when I have to disinfect the humidifier (or when I simply don't have enough time to refill it between jobs). My other two will also sneeze when the humidifier has been off for more than a few hours - they do not sneeze otherwise, but once the humidifier turns off the humidity drops below 20 percent very quickly. Dry air isn't good for anyone, and humidity between 30 and 50 percent is best for respiratory health for rats and people. You can get a hygrometer if you really want to know the humidity level in your room, but if it's winter where you are, you and your rats will probably benefit from one (or you could always get a little decorative water fountain and set it up next to the rat cage) . I bought an atomic clock with a hygrometer and thermometer built in. It's very useful!

I really hope your URI issues resolve soon. I completely understand how frustrating persistent URIs are!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, when I took them out this morning, Dela was sneezing! I don't understand this... Sometimes one seems worse and then the other seems worse... I do a shadow program at my vet's office and I do that tonight, so I'll talk to my vet and really look into the nebulizer/anything else she thinks I should use. I just called for a refill on the Baytril too, so am I going to have to pay for that and the nebulizing medicine, of I get that? Even though it's not helping, apparently?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts