Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a year old, male rat named Sherbet who is having some difficulties.

I had noticed over the passed maybe two weeks that he had begun sleeping more in odd laying positions. I didn't think anything of it until I returned from a trip yesterday. Upon picking him up, I found he has suddenly lost a lot of weight. Between him and his brother, he has always been a very hefty boy. He's lost so much weight his skin is incredibly loose. Combined with this weight loss, he's stumbling. He holds his back end up high while he stumbles to one side as he walks.

He is drinking normally and being his usual friendly self in other aspects. When I pick him up he licks my hands, but it seems he's panicking a bit more now. He'll be easily startled or worked up, and he will only calm down if I hold him close to my body. He's still trying to jump over to things, hopping to my hand, and doing his best to walk around...So, I don't know what could be wrong. What has me the most worried is that it's so bad he fell from my shoulder (into my arms) and that's never happened before.

I gave him a bit of biscuit to see if he's still interested in food...and he is. He gobbled it up. Previous to this I had been worried since he and his brother have been hoarding their food blocks. His brother, Opus, is acting fine and is of a decent weight. For the first time he's heavier than Sherbet though..and that's worrisome.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with what this could be?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i would get him to the vet and ask them to do a urine test. It could well be a uti and these can be quite painful and they can go down hill fast. It could be something else but at his age many are unlikely

1 - 3 of 3 Posts