Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH i went to a new persons house yesterday, my friend told me that they had pet rats so i was super stoked to meet some new ratties :) When we got there i relized the horrible condition they where kept in!!!! Back yard breeding, outside cages with no bedding just bars, the rats with bumble foot where put in a feeder cage!!!!! like 30 girls where stuffed in a cage smaller than a single CN!!! Im so appalled. i don't know what to do, its horrible! There was a family of rats living under the cages that would nibble on toes. the Mice where out of water! Some one told me that she was a "great breeder" but honestly if the owner was home i would have wanted to say something! I don't know if no one relized how horrible the condition was, like 15 people lived in this house. All the rats where "mean" because they where mistreated and not socialized, it was sad to see a mama feeding her pups on metal bars. Ugh i need all your good vibes, im freaking out...

·
Registered
664 Posts
That sounds awful! Couldn't animal control do something?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wish i could do something immediately but its like the only place my best friend has to live and I'm not trying to **** anything up and get him blamed, although I'm going to talk to the rescue i work for and see what they have to say, I'm sure that they will know something to do. Maybe someone from the rescue could respond to one of the craiglist adds or something and then go from there... from what i hear about the "owner" the are like pretty mean people.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Honestly, I think a lot of people are just absolutely clueless when it comes to rats. People go by the standards they see in pet stores and it just spirals out of control from there. In almost every pet store you walk into, you can find books on how to care for just about every animal they sell plus some....except for rats. I've never seen a store carry a book on how to care for rats. If I had the money to print pamphlets, I'd make a bunch and talk pet stores into placing them near the rats so that maybe people would actually read and learn before they buy and just emulate the horrible conditions pet stores usually provide.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all the pet stores around me carry books and pamphlets...its actually really rad, theres one that all about training them tricks and its adorable! These conditions where worse than any pet store I've seen... its heart breaking...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That's pretty cool, and another sign that I just live in a shithole :/ I'd go through with talking to the rescue and see if they have any plans. There has to be some way to at least force the person to make better accommodations for the animals if not have them all taken away. I know that one of the actual pet stores here was forced to clean up their rat area or they'd have to shut down, but that's a store and under legal regulations :/ not sure what you can do legally about an individual. If you do go back, take pictures and maybe bring it to the attention of animal control?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Ugh that's terrible! But I understand you're hesitant to do anything that would cause your friend to loose his house. Again, it just proves that to a lot of people, so long as an animal is alive it is "thriving and happy" and they're doing a great job caring for it. My Petsmart carries Debbie Ducommuns book on rats an has little brochures about rats, but people don't care enough to read them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im super close with a local rescue and I'm going to talk to them on wensday about it, i hope they can help me do something. Im so glad that some people are angles and have small animal rescues, its so needed!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you can go back, and without the owner or someone close to the owner hovering, get pictures. You may have to be sneaky but if they catch wind that someone is coming to investigate they will hide/move/toss a lot of the worst stuff so they don't get pinned. Photos of their conditions right now will help solidify your claim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i go back anytime soon I 100% will. Im really happy to get some advice from people who don't think "www rats are gross, let the die"<<< someone said this to me when i told them how sad i was about neglect :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts