Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m attempting to work out if paper bedding, Aspen, or fleece would be a better option. I constantly see sources saying that paper won’t absorb any ammonia, needs to be cleaned more often, and is comparable to using a tank for rats, however, I’ve always found paper to be less dusty than Aspen and dust extracting Aspen by hand isn’t something I’d like to do every week. I also don’t know any good beans of Aspen as I’ve always experienced large wood chunks/twigs and other things in it (if anyone could recommend a brand in the USA that’s low dust and high quality, that’d be great). A breeder near me claims they won’t give rats to anyone with fleece because it supposedly doesn’t absorb anything. To my knowledge, you need some type of absorbency layer underneath?

I was wondering, what substrates do you guys use and have used, and which do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The paper based substrates I've used generally aren't as good at controlling odors as wood shavings. I've found them to often be fairly dusty, as well. No option is perfect, though, and everyone has their own preferences.

Fabric liners do very little to control odors so they need to be swapped out and washed quite often. This can be a bit more work than using a loose substrate. Also, fabric liners don't foster natural digging/foraging behaviors. Scatter feeding into a loose substrate is a great form of enrichment not available if the cage is lined with fabric throughout. Dig boxes can always be added, though.

There are a ton of different types of bedding. I'm a strong proponent of trying different things out to figure out what works best for you and your individual circumstances. There's really no one correct way to do things. Sometimes what works best is a combination of products. I use wood shavings on the floor of my boys' cage, paper pellet litter in the litter boxes, and fabric liners on the platforms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts