Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 girls, both 10 weeks, and one had a litter of 12 a week ago. I have been putting Mom in with her sister when I take out and inspect the babies and keep a close eye on the girls for them to run around. But lately, the aunty gets very aggresive and either "attacks", jumps on or seemingly "mounts" her sister (the mom). I am almost afraid to put them back together in 4 weeks and would like to know where the aggression is coming from and how to put a stp to it.

Also, I am having second thoughts. I am a bit scared the "Aunty" is "Uncle:. What frightens me is the fact that the aunty keeps mounting Mom and the babies look surprisingly like their aunt. The aunt is a black berkshire and 5 of the babies are black or mink berkshires and there are 4 black or mink selfs. I thought the aunt was and is female as there are no visible testicle and I see what I think are nipples.

I am most afraid of Mom having another litter in 3 weeks. Yikes.

But if anyone could answer my first 2 questions I'd be very thankful.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
can you post any pictures of mom and auntie's belly-sides? it might help with sexing them if you're not 100% sure, but honestly, if i don't see testicles i assume female - although 10 weeks is pretty young and maybe just maybe they haven't descended. however, sperm from cryptorchids are usually dead as it's too warm in the body cavity.

mom and aunt though, at 10 weeks, are probably sisters and maybe mom got preggers from a brother in the litter before you bought them. how long have you had them?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had them 2 weeks, but anuty was the only Berkshire in the litter and 5 of the babies are black or mink Berkshires. MAybe it's just genetics, but still. I'll got snap some pics.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Mounting behaviour is a female-thing too, either dominance or Mom is in heat...does she arch her back and bounce around?

Berkshires just mean its in the family. :)

Testicles are hard to mistake, so its likely an Auntie :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thing. I s'pose I just got myself worked up. And (thank God) I've pinpointed nipples on her. No doubt now. Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts