Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone!

About a week ago I began making the switch over from Mazuri blocks to Oxbow's adult formula. My girls loved it and as off about 3 days ago they have been completely on Oxbow. In my main colony, Sugar has suddenly been extremely aggressive towards anyone near the food bowl since the complete switch. No injuries yet, but the squabbles are swiftly getting out of control. Sugar has in the past gone completely aggressive and removed a digit from Paprika's front paw. She only seems to do this with her staple diet. With treats, she is more than content to take her tidbit and eat it in peace.

After her best friend Cinnamon died about 6 months ago, Sugar has been quite foul-tempered. She rarely lets us pick her up and she tends to be a bully in general, pushing everyone else out of her way. Is there any thing I can to to at least calm this aggression down? I've thought about multiple feeding bowls across the levels of their cage, but I don't know how well that would work, or how that would affect their weight.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Multiple bowls could help. Just divide whatever amount of Oxbow pellets you are given them into 3 or 4 bowls. No need to give them more pellets, unless of course the amount of pellets you were given them is too low. Try to weigh the pellets you give them, and see if increasing it by 10% for instance will stop the aggression.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Oxbow is quite yummy once they realize that it is always going to be there they may calm down some. But I do always suggest multiple bowls. It helps keep fights over food down alot.

Are u sure u r feeding them enough? Is the bowl often getting empty? I free feed oxbow and no one over eats. It should be fine, but you do not have to fill every bowl full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are free feeding, now that they are on Oxbow since they are not hoarding it like they were with the Mazuri blocks. All of my girls are plump and of good weight at the moment. The last time we went to the vet, she stated that all of my rats are healthy, but they were headed towards getting too fat. Granted, switching to Oxbow from such a high protein formula like Mazuri is probably going to help with that, but I wanted to address any overfeeding concerns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts