Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my male rat, Gilligan, out on my bed about 2-3 hours ago and did not notice anything strange. I brought him out again about 15 minutes ago, and suddenly noticed a large lump on his right cheek. It has a little red mark at the center with some hair missing over it. I am concerned that it is something more than just a result of fighting... here are some pictures (keep it mind that it looks considerably smaller in these pictures; it is actually quite large)

Face Nose Head Sky Skin

Ear Skin Rat Muridae Nose

Whiskers Nose Cat Ear Snout

Red Sky Light Nose Pink

What do you all think? I've never noticed anything like this before on him, and it popped up within a matter of hours, so I know that it isn't a tumor. He is lively and does not seem to mind when I touch it. Is it likely just a swelled up bruise from fighting, or a medical concern?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I second the abcess, i wouldnt normally give meds for a standard abcess but as this is a facial abcess its well worth treating hard and fast. I would get him on amoxycillin asap (high end dose) and then soak it regualrly to help bring it to a head. Facial abcesses should be taken seriously as if they arent dealt with quickly its very close to the brain, and they can also cause eating difficulties.

Just a warning, facila bacesses can come about due to zymbals galnd tumours, their typical location isnt far from your lads abcess. If the abcess doesnt respond well to abs and doesnt clear up then it may well be one of these. These arent fixable and a well timed put to sleep is the kindest option. I doubt its this in this case as he looks a realtively young lad and there seems to be a wound but well worth keeping in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts