Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, my rat Shrieksy has another problem. Before, it was a head tilt that the vet couldnt figure out what was causing it, and now she has a sudden lump on the underside of her throat that seems to have developed overnight. She's still being her normal self (eating, drinking, playing) but now she has a rather large lump. When I touch it, it doesnt seem to hurt or bother her, and it feels sorta hard. My friend says it could be an abscess, but I don't feel any kind of fluid in there (Then again, I dont know how an abscess would actually feel with fluid in it.) The skin feels like it moves independently of the lump. I heard there was something called a Waxy Abscess, where it's hard inside, or it could be a swollen lymph gland.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50935/20141009_025142.jpg

It's sorta hard to see the lump in the picture, but its between her mouth and arm, right on the side of her throat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My girl has the same thing. It came up within an hour. The vet said it's a swollen lymph node which could be either caused by infection or cancer and we were given some baytril.

It could be an abscess (never came across one before myself so not sure) but it's worth getting her checked out by a vet asap just to be sure what it is. Thinking of you both, hope she is okay!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Pop to the vets and get a fine needle aspiration. This will tell you tumor, sickness, or abscess in minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I requested a vet appointment on saturday. Hopefully I can get in. Her breathing is rather loud now. She's not breathing through her mouth and it doesnt sound like she's struggling (rattling breathing), but it sounds like her nose might be stuffed up. Is there anything I can do for her till Saturday? I'm starting to think it's a swollen lymph node. I heard they feel "hard" when touched, but I dont know how hard they are referring to. The lump is about the size of a small marble (Bigger than a pea, but not walnut sized)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bumped the appointment up to today and I assume the vet will do a fine needle aspiration. I'vebeen told it can be very expensive to get one. What are the usual price ranges for one?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update: Looks like it may have been just an abscess. The stuff that came out with the FNA was an off color white and stringy like pus. Got some baytril for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet asked me to come in on Wednesday for another FNA as the pus from the sample was "inconclusive." Not sure what another sample will acomplish

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Rocco has a lump under his throat! I am making his appointment tomorrow. I'm nervous because he is so new to me, and he is so little still. If he needs surgery or anything the vet told me he is too young/small. Ugh.... I hope he doesn't have cancer. Poor baby rat. I hope yours is feeling better.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Honestly lumps under the throat are useually a salyviary gland infection (in which case they normally drool) or a throat gland. They dont need suregery unless its very stubborn or feels hard and lumpy. A covering of amoxycillin is not a bad idea but normally warm compress to bring to a head followed by flushing out the wound until it heals from the inside out resolves it well. Amox is baby safe, i would avoid baytril in a young rat if at all possible (under 13 weeks)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what to make of it now. She really struggles when I put the warm compress on her lump and she's constantly squeaking now. I have her on baytril again, but I think she might be in some kind of pain. If she was on Baytril I think it'd clear up any kind of myco she'd have, too. She seems way more reclusive and fidgety then normal. Could it be because of the possible abscess about to open?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've found when the abcesses are close to popping they are more fidgety, this is probably down to pain as if youve ever had an abcess or infection it is quite sore just before it pops, then its a real releif. If it doesnt go soon or she seems ill in any way then get her to the vet to have it lanced

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tempy just wen through this. The vet popped it on the first visit, but it came back so we went back. The second time she just wanted to try meds, but after about a week it had gotten a little bigger and he ended up chewing a hole into it himself. (He pulled it out with his front paws just enough to chew on it) I took him back and she clipped off a bit of dead skin and told me to keep it clean. For two days I sprayed warm saline into the hole twice a day, then by the third it had closed up enough that I couldn't. Now it's completely gone except for a small bald patch where the scar is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since the possible abscess is right on her throat, could it be that it's making it hard to breath and thats why she's squeaking and sneezing a lot? She never used to squeak or sneeze before this abscess. i'm starting to think it might be something more

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
She's probably sick. The doc can drain it for you and pop her on some medicine, I'd use amoxi. Then you keep the hole open and clean twice daily for five days.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I should clarify. I mean she's ill, but from something connected to the throat lump.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just read that some rats can have allergies. It may be cause she's feeling poorly from the (possible) abscess and that it's getting to that time of year where Ihave to run the furnace so I assume there's dust in the vents. My other rat is sniffling a bit too, but not near as much as my other one. It probably doesn't help that they like to play/sleep in a hat box right next to the air vent when I let them out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Watching the vet stab my baby rat in the throat was awful! He believes it's all puss and wanted to give me baytril. I wouldn't take it though. So he gave me something that starts with a T and S. I'll check tomorrow. He kind of brushed off my suggestion for amoxycillin. He said if this TS stuff doesn't work in two weeks that they will try amoxycillin. Since I didn't know what I was talking about too much I just agreed. Hopefully Rocco feels better. 140 in vet visits are not fun! Even more because it was all painful for poor Rocs :( he said if Rocco's sneezing is all healed in a couple weeks and The puss ball gets bigger, he will just surgically remove the puss when he "fixes" Rocco.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts