Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out what is wrong with one of my rattie boys. His brother is fine, energetic and eating well, while his brother dosen't seem himself. I don't have money to take him to the vet, my fiencee got laid off two months ago and there hasn't been any work. Our last 180 dollars went to my cat (My rattie boys was fine) who had an ulcer in his mouth.

Anyways back to the point. My rattie boy has lost quite a bit of weight and seems to be lacking energy. He only seems to want to eat if I'm sitting there holding the bowl for him. He runs around still and such, just not as much as before. There isn't any of the red stuff ( I forget what it's called) in his eyes or nose. He's just thin and acting a little strange. What should I do? What do you think might be wrong? :(

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How old is your boy? Try offering Ensure plus, noodles, avacado, nuts and such to bulk him up but it may just be old age. My Jackson lost almost half his body weight when he hit 28 months.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He isn't old at all. I got him last September, and they weren't full grown yet, so not even a year. It's so strange. He was doing so well. I give him baby cereal, noodles, vegetable baby foods, and dried fruit., I've been giving him extra just to bulk him up.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Does he have a hunched posture, rough fur, half-closed eyes? Any signs of pain or tenderness even while walking around? How is his urine? Dark, smelly? Can you gently palpate his belly to see if you feel anything in there?

I take it his breathing is fine, and he's not breathing through his flanks?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His breathing seems fine, and no hunching. Eyes are fine. I felt his tummy and nothing there. He peed on me today, and it looked normal, light as always. He walks around fine, just lazier then usual, which I figured was just him getiing into that squishy boy part of his life. His fur isn't rouch at all, if anything it's softer then his brothers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a lump in his tummy, and I don't know how I missed it before. blah. I really hope that it isn't a tumor. To me it feels a little bigger then a pea. On the the pus side I do have him eating again, and I can tell he's put back on some of his weight already.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
shocking weight loss can be due to laboured breathing (doesn't have), systemic infection and internal tumours. I pray its nothing really.

good luck with the weight gain. Keep an eye/fingers on that lump.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to call te vet and price check in case it is a tumor tomorrow. I really hope it isn't anything too serious. >.<

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Kaylaface said:
I'm going to call te vet and price check in case it is a tumor tomorrow. I really hope it isn't anything too serious. >.<
This is where it gets bad. Most internal masses can be entwined around organs and you cannot remove them all. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what I was worried about. I remember the same thing happened to my sisters cat. It was really hard to deal with. I hope it's removable. 0_0

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well things seem to be going downhill. He won't eat for me now, wont explore. All he wants to do is sleep. He's walking funny as well. I'm really worried. Right now I don't even have the gas money to get him to the emergency vet, more or less pay the 15% of the bill they want up front. I noticed a little lump in one of his man bits as well. I just don't know what to do for him. If only he can hold out until we get our unemployment check in the next few days.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I am sorry Kayla. :(

Scritches to your remaining rats, and hugs for you. :(

Play hard at the bridge little man, no more pain or discomfort for you. Go find Kamali, she's a sweet girl who can show you around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts