Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 male rats. Templeton is a few months old and his son Floyd is about 10wks old. They have been together practically all of floyd's life

A couple weeks ago I noticed a wound on Templeton's shoulder. There were a few more little cuts but nothing serious. They never seemed to fight during the day or during free range time. They would wrestle and I occasionally saw Templeton pin Floyd or do some dominance grooming but that was it.

Then this morning I noticed new fresh, wounds on his other shoulder.

I was told by another rat owner that 10wks is young for floyd to be showing aggression. He's fine with me and I've never had them get into serious fights in front of me.

I recently rescued a new pregnant rat who is in a separate cage in the same room and someone mentioned that her smell and presence could be causing the aggression...Does this seem like it could be a possible reason?

what are my options to fix this, other than separating them?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Scratches around the head neck and shoulder area are often a sign of mites... if you don't see any aggressive behavior that might be causing the scratches mites may be your problem.

Best luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts