Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my daughter 2.male rats at Christmas. They were friendly and seemed to enjoy coming out to play. But for last few weeks one on them has become extremely aggressive, even when we are just walking passed the cage he will pounce at the bars and if anything goes near the bars, he goes mad. My daughter is afraid to handle him now, and if I try to, he bites and scratches. The other one just wants to go straight back in to the cage as soon as he's out?!
Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
50 Posts
How old were they when you got them? If they were juveniles, then this is about the right length of time for them to be starting to show signs of hormonal aggression as they go through "rat puberty". Usually it shows itself as aggression towards other rats, but not always, and can include territorialism/cage-aggression.

First thing I'd do is take him out of the cage- use leather gloves to handle him if you're worried about being hurt- and take him to a neutral location he ideally has never been in before, like a rat-proofed bathroom. He may calm down as soon as he's out of "his" territory. You can also take this time to check him over physically to make sure he isn't hiding an injury or illness, since some rats get cranky when in pain.

If being in neutral territory doesn't help, I'd say it's probably hormonal. In that case your best course of action may be to have him neutered which will remove the hormones from his system. You'll obviously need to see a vet about that.

Otherwise, you can attempt to trust-train him out of his aggression, but especially since he was friendly when you first got him, you may not have much luck. Timid or Aggressive Rat? Trust Training

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were 3 months old when I had them, they are 6 months old now. Thank you, I will give that a goo and consider neutering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts