Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've finally decided on a what to do as far as diet. Would the Suebee mix combined with Regal Rat food and fresh fruits/veggies be a complete diet? Also, about how much does it cost to make a batch of the Suebee mix?
This is a little off topic, but I figured it'd be better to keep all my questions in one post. Are the little bouncy balls made for kids (like the ones you used to be able to get from the quarter machines) safe to give to the rats to play with? I have a whole bunch of them. If I could find one just big enough that they couldn't choke, would it be ok?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think Regal Rat is supposed to be considered a "complete diet" but feeding with fresh fruits and veggies should be fine.
Suebees is relatively cheap to make 15-20 dollars maybe. I found it really cheap I made a huge batch and still had plenty left over.
And I wouldn't risk giving them the balls; the rubber can probably easily be bitten by rattie teeth. I'd say use those cat balls instead.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah. If they chew up the rubber, the little pieces may later get swallowed. I wouldn't risk it (unless it's free-range play time and you watch them with it, I would think).

Suebee's pretty cheap for so much stinkin' food! I don't have enough containers for it ^^;

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought the ingredients for the Suebee mix with my other groceries so I can only guess but It wasn't more than $20 for all the ingredients. And other than the dog food I found everything at Target.

I kept hearing how much food the Suebee's recipe would make so I bought a couple snap top containers to store the extra food in. I was a little underwhelmed by the final volume. I made two half batches using a stock pot instead of a bowl. I left the dry fruit, soy nuts and puffed wheat out of the second half batch. I filled the rats' bowl with the complete batch and was able to put the rest into a large freezer bag. The incomplete batch also fit in a freezer bag in which I added the list of missing ingredients.

I thought I must have overlooked an ingredient but I double checked the recipe and everything was there. I did leave the dog food out of the mixture because I have been mixing it with Regal Rat and putting it in a second food dish in their cage. As much as they love the Suebee mixture I am amazed to see they also eat the Innova/Regal Rat mixture too, although with not so much gusto :p

I guess my point is that in my case the Suebee mix doesn't take up any more space than the small (I think it's 7lbs) bag of Innova dogfood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts