Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to see how many of you use the Suebee's homemade rattie food mix for your furbabies and how they like it.

When we first brought home Ducky and Thumper the only thing they had from the Petstore was Lab Blocks. We decided to try the Suebee's mix and slowly added that as thier new diet along with fruit and veggies. We also use organic ingredients. Only organic veggies and fruits. The one item we couldnt find organic was the puff cereals.

It was a huge hit!!!

I have one pic of Ducky and Gemini going to town on their supper.

I still give them some lab blocks along with the Suebee's, They occasionally chew on them, so if nothing at all they make great chew blocks to help thier teeth :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys love Suebees, but it should be an addition to their food, not their main food (It's fattening!), so definitely make sure they're getting plenty of their blocks. What block are you feeding them currently?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't know about that Forensic, whenever I hear Suebee's mix I assume it's 50% grain mix and 50% lab blocks/dog food. This is how the only website I know of that has it mentions it (I forget the website right now).

So isn't the lab blocks/dog food part of Suebee's mix? I guess it's all semantics.

Point is, my rats also love Suebee's mix (Feature lab blocks). Whose wouldn't?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We give them lab blocks by Muzuri, those are in addition to the mix and fruit and veggies which they get at nite. I put a handful of lab blocks in the Suebee mix, of course they dig all the goodies out first before they touch them , but Im sure I would too if I was a rat LOL :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I give my rats about 1/2 Suebee's grain mix and 1/2 dog food - the Suebee's goes first, and quickly, but I don't give them any more food until they finish the dog food as well, otherwise they wouldn't eat it. Only Magic prefers the Nutro over the cereals (and gosh it's hard to type with 3 rats crawling all over my hands and keyboard!)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
cjshrader said:
I don't know about that Forensic, whenever I hear Suebee's mix I assume it's 50% grain mix and 50% lab blocks/dog food. This is how the only website I know of that has it mentions it (I forget the website right now).

So isn't the lab blocks/dog food part of Suebee's mix? I guess it's all semantics.

Point is, my rats also love Suebee's mix (Feature lab blocks). Whose wouldn't?
Probably just semantics. :lol: I consider 'suebee's' to be just the grain mix, which is why I was worried. But yes, I do the same as Mana, about 1/2 and 1/2, but no more Suebee's until they eat their staple (the blocks or the dog food.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I give my rats 30grams of Reggie Rat Food everyday they love the stuff £1.99 from pet shops here don't know if anyone has heard of this food?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes, we've heard of Reggie Rat and don't usually recommend it. Yes they like it, but that's because it's somewhat like candy. And it contains alfalfa pellets which are fair-onto-worthless for the rats.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ohh lol i thought it was realy good for them =[ i was going to use it for my rats for the whole time whats kind of things do rats need in there diet then?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Generally, I think the recommendations are lab blocks like Harlan Teklad (not Kaytee!) or Mazuri (available in many pet stores) or a high quality, low protein dog food and a grain mix like Suebee's.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I give my rats a dog biscuit between them a day its quite big it contains chicken like the Reggie Rat Food does do rats need mineral blocks as well?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, what I'd worry about with the dog biscuit is that it's fairly high protein. It should probably be an occasional snack, maybe substitute veggies now and again. :)

If they're being feed a decent diet, rats do not require mineral blocks or salt licks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Forensic said:
a high quality, low protein dog food and a grain mix like Suebee's.
I'm switching my boys to Suebees and I couldn't fins Nutro lite, so I bought Nutro Ultra Weight Management (protein 16%, fat 8-10%, fiber 4%) but the fat seems awfully high to me, is it? Especially with the grain mix. I bought the Ultra because it has all *good* sounding ingredients and no corn (it claims to be holistic and to have no synthetic preservatives, all in all it sounds good) and the boys love it, even my new boys who *gasp* don't eat treats...

But now that I've rambled, we couldn't find any puffed wheat, I guess Wegmans doesn't have it, or is hiding it (they hide a lot from me, I spent 45 minutes looking for honey and apparently they have it in four aisles..) is there something else I could put in instead? Is it that important?

-Alecia (who is contentedly snacking on Suebees)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's about where the fat level is on most of the 'approved foods', so it sounds fine. :)

I'm not sure how important the puffed wheat is, I just know my boys like to chew on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts