Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm caring for somebody's elderly rat and since it's a new experience for me, I'd like help with what to do/not to do to enrich his life/keep him safe.
He's in a large cage, so he definitely has space. (Samo 108...or 180....bought it years ago so can't remember which way round that is! xD But without the extra height, since it won't be used.) And I've added a flying saucer style wheel.

He is at the very least mostly blind, if not completely blind.
He has poor movement in his hind legs.
He sleeps a lot more than younger rats.

What I'd like is suggestions on activities/toys that won't hurt him, hints on suitable products, tips from experience etc.

For example, because of his poor mobility, should I go for a product like vetbed, instead of a substrate like aubiose? Obviously he would have toys and a big bundle of bedding, but would it be easier for him to have a flatter surface in the rest of his home?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is he thin? I can give you a weight gain formula for that, if he is. Also, If the boy used to like hammocks, cube hammocks with extra padding are super nice, because you can keep them on the floor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's definitely not thin, he's a good size, so that's at least one thing I don't have to worry about! ^__^

I'll definitely get a cube (or two...or three!) thank-you. =]

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can make a pillow bed. I just pulled like half the stuffing out of a small pillow I bought at goodwill. You can pull out more for him if he has trouble with it as well as sew on a blanket to three sides so he can burrow. Might be cheaper...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds interesting. o:
Not entirely sure I'd trust anything I took a hand to, though...but I can at least try. xD
Thanks.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The great thing about rats is they dont care how it looks lol its all about the function not the fashion :) i really cant sew so i cut a small hole in it to pull out the stuffing and just hand stitched it shut. I went over it a few times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the thread not end up hurting him if I sewed really badly and some came loose? x_x
I feel like I'm being so paranoid!

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i can recommend fuzbutts corner hammocks for old men, just hang them very low and a bit bucket like. They help them sit and groom there bits properly. I would probably stick with aubiose or similar, i've not found vetbed helps much with oldies and its a pig to keep clean. I use it more for hospital cages post surgery as it keeps wounds clean. If he's not able to climb then he is very unlikley to use the flying saucer, instead i would scatter feed his food and give him a few interesting different beds and bedding materials as well as chew toys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts