Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me a list of what you would consider the most important rattie facts for when my daughter takes our boobars in for her show and tell at school.

The first one I want to get across is pet ratties are NOT smelly germ ridden things which most of my friends seem to think they are... humph! eeeejots

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
they are very friendly, love giving kissies, they can learn their name and simple tricks, they are as intellegent as some cats and dogs

·
Registered
532 Posts
here's a few trivia bits:

rats are ticklish and laugh when they are tickled - it is so high-pitched that humans can't hear it, though.

Rats can think about thinking. Dogs cannot do this.

Rats have a 3 foot vertical jump and a 4 foot horizontal jump.

There's a thread somewhere that has a lot of rat facts; i'll see if i can find it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blueskyy
hmmm, i think we're the highest but chimps have been shown to plan attacks that are so vicious that it must be intentional cruelty..
I watched one wildlife program that really changed my mind about them. [and they are the only other animal next to man who [how can i put this politly] ummmm, do the nasty, do the wild thing, rumpy pumpy etc for recreational purposes.
[also males do the five finger shuffle!]

·
Registered
532 Posts
daisy184 said:
Blueskyy
hmmm, i think we're the highest but chimps have been shown to plan attacks that are so vicious that it must be intentional cruelty..
I watched one wildlife program that really changed my mind about them. [and they are the only other animal next to man who [how can i put this politly] ummmm, do the nasty, do the wild thing, rumpy pumpy etc for recreational purposes.
LOL!

i've heard chimps can be vicious, but don't the chimps attack like that for hunting purposes or to protect their territory? i know they can hunt other animals and it's pretty gruesome...

humans, on the other hand, are able to find a stray kitten on the street and burn it alive on a barbeque "just because they are bored."

i hear horrible things from the ASPCA newsletter :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah thats true..I guess theres no serial killer cows or monkeys etc... gosh makes you ashamed to be human dont it... *sighs*

·
Registered
216 Posts
daisy184 said:
Blueskyy
h [and they are the only other animal next to man who [how can i put this politly] ummmm, do the nasty, do the wild thing, rumpy pumpy etc for recreational purposes.
Actually, Dolphins also get-it-on for fun. They have even been known to 'rub on' other animals including humans. That would make for an interesting scuba dive. lol.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
''Actually, Dolphins also get-it-on for fun. They have even been known to 'rub on' other animals including humans. That would make for an interesting scuba dive. lol.''
ewwwww, not the kind of 'seamen' id like to encounter at sea....lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
daisy184 said:
''Actually, Dolphins also get-it-on for fun. They have even been known to 'rub on' other animals including humans. That would make for an interesting scuba dive. lol.''
ewwwww, not the kind of 'seamen' id like to encounter at sea....lol
LMAO!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no rat rascal... was just a horrid vision i had...lol........ [unfortunatly still visualizing it, you've mentally scarred me!!]

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
male dolphins and chimps also collaborate with other males and gang-rape other males and females both. dolphins have also been known to murder baby dolphins in water areas that have either too much human traffic, too many dolphins, or a combination of those and other factors. they target soft dangerous spots like the lungs and the kidneys and charge them from underwater so that they are brutally exploded from within. very smart also = capable of "evil". o_O

·
Registered
216 Posts
Many animals are known to kill their young for various known and unknown reasons. Often lack of resources or general survival needs seem to be key reasons. I don't know if I would call that 'evil' per se.
Dolphins are also known to organize possies to protect their own from sharks and other predators. They even practice over and over for dangerous encounters so that when the threat presents itself they have a choreographed strategy to keep their young and nursing mamas safe from harm. That's pretty cool. Unlike some male animals who are not allowed near their young because they will definitely kill them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well daisy, if you run out of rat facts at show and tell, you can always pop off a few of these others. :lol:

·
Registered
532 Posts
but see, all of those killings are done because of instinct (protecting territory, establishing dominance, males protecting their genes, etc.) and though it is brutal, it's natural. humans are aware of the pain they cause other creatures, and knowing that their victim is in pain is what drives humans to commit cruel acts over and over.

when a male lion takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs to prevent the previous male's genes from being passed on. he doesn't enjoy the killing, or kill because it's fun; he sees the cubs as a threat to his future offspring and kills them out of instinct. if he enjoyed the killing, he would kill or attack the lionesses as well, but since they pose no threat to the passage of his genes, his instinct tells him not to harm them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
BlueSkyy said:
but see, all of those killings are done because of instinct (protecting territory, establishing dominance, males protecting their genes, etc.) and though it is brutal, it's natural. humans are aware of the pain they cause other creatures, and knowing that their victim is in pain is what drives humans to commit cruel acts over and over.

when a male lion takes over a pride, he kills all the cubs to prevent the previous male's genes from being passed on. he doesn't enjoy the killing, or kill because it's fun; he sees the cubs as a threat to his future offspring and kills them out of instinct. if he enjoyed the killing, he would kill or attack the lionesses as well, but since they pose no threat to the passage of his genes, his instinct tells him not to harm them.
Yes, yes. Exactly what I was trying to say. There is no evil present in the way the animal world conducts itself. Only a striving for balance. Humans are strangely capable of great atrocities against all life on this planet. It often makes me wonder if we belong here...

·
Registered
330 Posts
daisy184 said:
Blueskyy
its true, i saw that documentary, they will like attack other chips in the "gang" for no realdon, and sometimes they will even kill them, and then just leave the bpdies there, and also they do plan attacks, eg place eachother in spesific positions an then get other chimps to steer the prey towards them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts