Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know there's a sticky on this and I've read it, but when I'm looking into the different types of bedding where I live, the ones that I would like are mega expensive. One available is bio catolet (that we get for the cats litter box anyway). But I cant imagine that's comfy for them to walk on constantly. Other things available are even harder than this. I would like to go for something similar to aspen, but that is only sold for reptiles here (we have some for the lizards) and therefore has a hefty price tag too. I don't mind paying that bit extra if its all that is available but I wondered if anyone could advise some good uk stuff. That they use and their rats like walking on and where to get it from. Ie internet or certain stores :). Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
For similarity to aspen your best bet is hemp bedding. I like aubiose best as its fragrance free and good quality but hemcore is another widely available brand (it has added citronella). You can get these from horse or farm suppliers of you can find one locally, this is the cheapest option. If you are struggling both are available online but often have high p and p because they are 25kg bales (last ages). Www.ratrations.co.uk do smaller amounts too, or combine with a food order and is not so bad.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I should add shredded card like greenmile, finacard and ecopetbed are also great options. In fact my ultimate rat substrate is greemile and aubiose 50 50. Lower mess, better digging and more absorbant in combo.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a random question. Is it possible to get aubiose or anything like it in the states? I've always wanted to try it. I've heard it's absolutely the best, but we don't have anything like that here. :C

·
Registered
444 Posts
Before fleece, I used back-2-nature from pets at home, it was pretty decent, never had any problems and I thought it was reasonably cheap :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I have a random question. Is it possible to get aubiose or anything like it in the states? I've always wanted to try it. I've heard it's absolutely the best, but we don't have anything like that here. :C
Aspen bedding is similar and apparently easy to get hold of over there, it trends to not be so much here, at least not in decent quantities

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciated. I ended up at pets at home for my temporary stock (whilst waiting for internet orders) and they actually had carefresh natural on special offer so I have ended up with that for now while I look into all your suggestions. Thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts