Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, new member here Sorry, you probably get these questions all the time, but I was just wondering if I have finally found a suitable cage.In three weeks time, I am getting two (maybe three) baby male dumbos.I have been looking at cages for a few weeks, but just haven't been able to find one that I liked, then I finally found this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Fr...68?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item462582bf50I have a couple of questions about it. (Bear in mind the wire floor will be covered in a solid flooring and then covered in fleece, they won't be walking on the wire).1) Will it be big enough for 3 bucks? (Measurements without stand is 82 x 54 x 99cm).2) The bar spacing is 1.3cm, is that too big for babies?3) I've heard that rats prefer to climb than have levels, if I was to take out the middle floor, would this be okay?If not, and cage recommendations? (I'm from the UK, and budget is about £90 which is $132).

·
Registered
624 Posts
I feel like that's good! They should be quite content. :) There's always a rodent cage calculator you can find online.

http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

The spacing between the bars looks good, too. But it really depends how big your ratties are when you initially get them. xP You could always wrap chicken wire around it if the bars are too wide until they grow into it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also, when I calculated it says, "This cage will hold up to 7 rats if the space is used wisely." ;) Which means you should always get more if there's more room. :p Haha just kidding!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Seems pretty good for 3 rats! :D
I like both of your ideas (covering (at least some of) the wire flooring with fleece and taking the middle floor out), just be sure, at least while they're small, to cushion places where they might fall from higher to make sure they wont hurt themselves (you can hang "safety" hammocks bellow higher beds for example).

The cage might be a bit difficult to clean, depends on the doors size I guess, but overall it seems to be great :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AdequateRat, you're a bad influence!! ;D Haha. 17 rats later.... ::)

And thanks Basmati :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts