Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are eggs okay for rats? I know they have a lot of protein, and I adopted a hairless girl from a pet shop a few days ago. She's skinny- Her bones poke out a little- and She's got a huge belly bulge so I'm afraid she's pregnant and could use the extra protein for both nursing her back to health and for the health of the babies. I made her an omelette with raisens in it today and she gobbled it up like no tomorrow. Is it okay to be part of her staple diet?

And yes, I am aware that hairless does don't make the best mothers a lot of times, so I am ready to take on rat babies (I've raised mice by hand, so I'm somewhat familiar with this.) if she is in fact pregnant. =)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think eggs are ok. Wild rats get into bird nests and break the eggs to eat so should be fine for pet rats. I have given mine egg before and they liked it. Goodluck with her and the babies if she is pregnant!

·
Registered
70 Posts
think about it this way...millions of rats live in dumpsters and eat god knows what...if you have knowlege on what is truly bad for them and use your intuition and doubts on foods your not sure about,....rats can eat just about anything.

and if she is pregnant, this is definatly a good for during and after the pregnancy when she is nursing

·
Registered
24 Posts
My boys love scambled eggs!

I think eggs are fine, it just depends how you cook them. Fried eggs are a no no. Boiled eggs would be fine.

As Cupids_cuties says
"think about it this way...millions of rats live in dumpsters and eat god knows what"

If you want a good book to read, go to the rat warehouse and order the scuttling gormet, that has loads of good ideas for rattie diets/treats. Very informative.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
another good thing to get her on if she is pregnant or just underweight is kitten chow. its high in protein (which is a must for moms) and has a concentration of vitimins and nutrients an underfed and mom to be as well as nursingmothers will need. watch her skin for rash or irritation though as it could be a sign of too much protein.

as for things that rats should or shouldn't have: peanuts should be offered only sparingly as they are a vitimin A destroyer and oranges should never be offered to males as it can cause kidney damage or even failure. some owners go so far as restricting all citrus from a male's diet. oranges are fine for females however. cranberries are good for preventing urinary tract infections and certain cancers. peanut butter and mashed potatoes should only be given when you are there to supervise of should be mixed with other foods as alone they area choking hazzard. i know there's more but i don't have my book on this computer and can't check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts