Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Many thanks for the advice I received about my new rat, Sulu.

Since then I have washed my hands before handling him, tried to keep a separate jumper for when I am handling him, and a separate blanket for him for playtime...

I have done 4 introduction sessions so far. All ended in a fight and only lasted a few minutes. But not too bad. One session I smeared watered down peanut butter on them to simulate grooming, as I saw a tip here... Kirk had a good time licking everyone. Sulu unfortunately wasn't willing to allow himself to be groomed, and spent the whole time fending off an utterly unaggressive Kirk, who just thought he smelled delicious.

McCoy seems to find the bath quite stressful though, and he kind of just shuts down, you know the way they go kind of catatonic...

Anyway, it's obviously going to take time, but it hasn't been as bad as I worried it might be.

Sulu is also a little different during his play time now. He used to run around non-stop frantically exploring the whole time, but he's starting to slow down, and allowing himself to rest a bit when outside the cage.

And I am slowly gaining confidence again with touching him..

Registered
Congratulations!! Well done, your group sounds like they are getting a good start. I love that you call Sulu a 'gangster' :ROFLMAO: Don't be surprised if they regress or make a huge improvement without warning. They are fickle beasts, and change like the weather. As they grow and change, so does their personalities. Gotta love ratties 馃グ

Registered
And thanks for the follow up. I was telling my hubby last night about your group and their names...as we were watching Star Trek of course :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts