Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love hammocks, I go through tons and tons of them so instead of buying fancy ones I just do this cheap method. They work just as well, even look nice and are so much cheaper then anything else.

If your rats are big chewers this works really well as they can chew and you can toss them without having spent a fortune on something fancy. Mine dont really chew the hammocks but they do chew the strings off store bought ones lol But I have a ton of rats and go through just a bunch of them each week.

1) First get some fleece. You can buy it from fabric/craft stores, online or what I do is buy fleece blankets at walmart. They have specific blankets that only cost $2.88 all year round. They are full sized. Come in quite a bit of different colors/designs. They may be a bit harder to find as they seem to be sold fairly quickly and not always restocked right away. Check the different bedding aisles. They may be tossed behind stuff lol

I do suggest using fleece. I know some people like to use other fabrics. Do so at your own risk. When you cut fleece the edges are safe and smooth with no hanging strings or fraying. Some other fabric will fray even more so after a wash and can be deadly or lead to injury.

2) Buy hooks. You have tons of options here. I have found ebay to be the best bet so far.
I got a pack of 50 pear shaped shower curtain rings for under $7. They were going for $7+ on amazon for a pack of 12... These hooks are extremely popular for hanging hammocks.
I also bought a pack of 50 lanyard snap hooks for under $5. These hooks are what you find typically on normal store bought hammocks. I prefer the pear shaped ones over these, but I like these for using in my martins cage because of how the bars are.

Both were shipped from the US and had free shipping. So for 100 hooks that should last forever since they are reusable I spent less than $12.

The names of the people I recently bought from are there. But you can just search for lanyard hook or shower hook, pear shape hook, etc... they do have people selling different amounts.

3) To make the hammocks, simple cut the fleece into squares. I find they prefer slightly small, At first I had a tendency to cut them too big and even hung taught they seemed to sink too much lol. I don't measure though but you can.
Slit a small hole into each of the four corners a bit of the ways in.

4) attach hooks through the holes and hang!

What is great is you can be quite creative with this. Make layered hammocks or a specific size to fit your cage or a space.

My baby Yuna likes to climb to the very top of her cage, hang upside down and then just drop....because she wants to give me a heart attack! I actually measured out one long piece of fabric to cover one whole side of the cage as a "net" hammock under the very top lol

Also though if you wanna get fancy and sew them up pretty those hook prices are great as well.

Anyways I have been doing this for a long time, they work really well. As i said mine are not big chewers and so they last me forever, just toss in the wash and I can change their hammocks every cage cleaning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you posted about those lanyard clips ( wanted some real bad ) I've see them in other peoples cages & searched in almost every store within 100 miles , could not find them !! Outrageous prices for those pear shaped shower hooks & to me their a big pain LOL Don't know why I didn't think of Ebay . Have been using zip ties , cheap to dollar store but really a waist cutting them off .
I know what you mean a lot of work in making double sown hammies only for ratties to mangle ! That's where I buy my fleece too,I was using towels under it & stopped . Seen one of my girls catch her toenail in it :( Now I use old tee shirts - not as stringy to me anyways .

·
Registered
953 Posts
This is basically all I do. I put grommets in them, just because it's easier for me to find the holes and it makes them sturdier for a large pile of rats.

4 of my girls are the worse chewers, it just seems insane to sew, or buy expensive hammocks for them. I usually toss out at least one hammock a week here!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was using zip ties as well and they are cheap but I was going through a ton of them and my girls decided zipties were super fun to chew on. The very day I would hang up the hammocks they would be all down from chewed zipties. So annoying.

I have seen grommets and thought of using them. Not 100% sure how to use them. Sure I can probably google it lol maybe ill try

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the tools for the smaller ones. The larger ones it's easy to just poke a hole in the fabric and then hammer (just use a little one, or a mallet) the grommet pieces together.

I can't use zip ties...because again those same four girls who chew everything also like to mark their beds heavily, so I have to wash hammocks every couple of days. they are the 1/2 wilds though so that may account for some of it. Could be more of a girl thing to. I've had rats since my first child was a little one and she's 27 now and this is the first time I've ever had girl rats. And it's been interesting! I never had more than 3 rats either. So I got my 3 girls, and then I had an escapee who got into my wall and she came back knocked up and had 12 1/2 wilds. So now I've got 8 boys and 7 girls. The babies turned a year oct 1st.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great ideas! I found packs of 10 pear shaped shower curtain hooks at Wal Mart for $0.97. Bought several packs. Y'all be on the look out for them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Another trick I use-old tshirts can be huge hammocks. I put binder clips on them and then just use the shower hooks to hang them in the cage. If it's too big, just fold them in half and binder clip around the edges.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used grommets on some washcloths I got at the $1 store. I folded it in half and put in 4 grommets. I found the pear-shaped shower curtain hooks at the $1 store as well. The washcloths are in packs of 2. They also make great snuggly blankets in the hidey holes. I also found some remnants at the fabric stores here. They almost always have some fleece in there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Another trick I use-old tshirts can be huge hammocks. I put binder clips on them and then just use the shower hooks to hang them in the cage. If it's too big, just fold them in half and binder clip around the edges.
I want to try cutting off sleeves from old long-sleeved t-shirts and making tunnels for them to crawl through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts